Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help with cracked grout on new tiled floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi everyone, I tiled a kitchen and living room floor last week and the grout has started to crack in both areas.

The customer laid 6mm plywood on top of chipboard subfloor and was screwed down. The tiles were a ceramic floor tile 45cm x 45cm with 8mm notched trowel Mapei ProFlex https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was used and Silver grey Larsen flexible grout was used the next day after tiles were laid.

The customer started to move couches appliances etc into the rooms around 6 hours after the floor was grouted and noticed the grout was cracked after moving the stuff back into the rooms.

It seems to be the areas were the grout is cracked is where the most foot traffic is, both rooms were around 30sqm total but grout is only cracked on around 8 sqmin both rooms combined. I haven't been back to the job yet but I am unsure what to do and I'm looking for some advice the tiles were solid when I was grouting them and everything seemed fined when I left the job.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

andyb1

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I tiled a kitchen and living room floor last week and the grout has started to crack in both areas.

The customer laid 6mm plywood on top of chipboard subfloor and was screwed down. The tiles were a ceramic floor tile 45cm x 45cm with 8mm notched trowel Mapei ProFlex https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was used and Silver grey Larsen flexible grout was used the next day after tiles were laid.

The customer started to move couches appliances etc into the rooms around 6 hours after the floor was grouted and noticed the grout was cracked after moving the stuff back into the rooms.

It seems to be the areas were the grout is cracked is where the most foot traffic is, both rooms were around 30sqm total but grout is only cracked on around 8 sqmin both rooms combined. I haven't been back to the job yet but I am unsure what to do and I'm looking for some advice the tiles were solid when I was grouting them and everything seemed fined when I left the job.

6mm ply and 8mm notch likely to be the issue, was it a floating floor?

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
W

Whats my best course of action moving forward , another tiler mentioned try re grouting with kerapoxy but i don't think that will solve the problem
its not just the grout thats the problem youve tiled on a ply wood floor so the tiles
will most likely be coming up. did you prime the plywood and did you back butter
the tiles?

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Was primed with SBR and tiles weren't buttered
then you my have problems. best thing to do is try the grout route and hope for the best
but i dont fancy your chances with this one. think its going to be an expensive lesson
learned sorry for the bad news

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think it’s all been covered in the various feedback comments
once upon a time tile straight on ply was acceptable ... but alas no more .
Anti-fracture matting should have been installed.
If the Tiles are stuck well .. you could try and rake out / regrout using a flexi additive.. but no guarantees...
Wish you well with the remedial.

OP
JA Tiling
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think it’s all been covered in the various feedback comments
once upon a time tile straight on ply was acceptable ... but alas no more .
Anti-fracture matting should have been installed.
If the Tiles are stuck well .. you could try and rake out / regrout using a flexi additive.. but no guarantees...
Wish you well with the remedial.
Thanks for the reply I raked out the grout and regrouted with flexcolour a week ago and the customer contacted me yesterday to let me know everything was still OK so fingers crossed 🤞

Reaction score

Scan 1.jpeg
The VERY simple rule is this:
If the grout has cracked, then the bond between the tile and substrate (what the tile was bonded onto) has failed.
There is never any other explanation other than movement due to moisture or instability. If this is one area only, it only shows that it's a weak area in a poor installation, or a point of moisture. The sub-floor won't have been prepared properly throughout, or there was a water spillage. Therefore the tile has failed, and it needs to be completely ripped-up, properly prepared and replaced with new tiles. Sorry.

Last edited:

Reply to Help with cracked grout on new tiled floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock