Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting porcelain tiles diagonally in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to cut 600 x 600 porcelain tiles diagonally corner to corner on my bridge saw. Upon making contact with the tile, the edge chips leaving an unsharp cut at the start. Do you have any suggestions to avoid this. Could it be a sign that the blade has lost its edge? Cutting across a tile 90 degree to the blade leaves a clean cut throughout.
Kind regards,
Stuart

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
Thanks Julian, I was thinking of trying a few passes as you have suggested. Would you suggest 5mm depth at a time, or would you make the first pass only a couple of mm.
Maybe it’s just trial and errror.
Kind regards
Stuart

J

J Sid

yes , about 5 mm then with grinder cut right though the tile at both ends then wet cut the rest in a few passes.

StuVin

TF
Reaction score
It worked well today, so thank you
The cuts are on show so I wanted to get them good.
If I wanted to put a chamfer on them like the rest of the tile edge, how would suggest I go about it?

C

Concrete guy

A chamfer can be created with diamond hand pads, an electroplated diamond vanity blade (on a variable speed grinder) or coarse polishing pads and a polisher/variable speed angle grinder.

Hand pad = slowest but most control
Vanity Blade = This is what masons use to chamfer granite worktops mostly.
Polishing pads = An alternative to an EP vanity blade.

Reply to Cutting porcelain tiles diagonally in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen