Search the forum,

Discuss cracked grout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

Wood's better

Hi everyone,

I have the following scenario on a job:
  • Shower over bath with bath screen
  • My client had bathroom refurbed 2 years ago
  • bath is leaking from cracked grout
  • The bath was either cut into the wall or plasterboarded down to the bath (unnecessarily as plenty of width in room.) This is the case on 1 long and 1 short edge on bath.
  • There are no noggins at the bottom edge of bath where plasterboard ends.

I am sure the walls are moving, so if I re-grout, I think it will crack again. I have explained about removing the bath and fitting noggins to try and strengthen. Client would like grout raked out of cracked areas and replaced with silicone for flexibility from bath edge to ceiling (full height) They say they are happy if it lasts only a year and then to re-evaluate.

It doesn't sit well with me and would like opinions/advice please!

Richard.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
If it is flapping plaster board where the bath has been cut in then depending on tile size;

remove a course(s) of tiles around the bath.
Add noggin's to add support and fix bath in securely.
Board with presumably 12.5mm MR plaster board. Add silicone round bath edge prior to boarding so you seal between bath and board but leave a couple of mm off the bath to allow for tub expansion when full of hot water.
Re-tile, re grout maybe whole area and consider use of epoxy resin as i presume we have no existing tanking?
Once grouted seal around bath and corner with a good quality silicone.
will last longer than a year and depending on the quality of the existing tiling, we look as good as new. :thumbup:

J

jollyroger

I would take AliGage's advice, but I would also consider removing the bath and install horizontal and vertical timber to support the bath at the walls. Too many plumbers these days fit acrylic showering baths into a corner and all you are relying on for support are 4 adjustable legs and nothing else. What do you expect when your dancing around in it having a shower ?

Reply to cracked grout in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen