Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss British Ceramic Tiles - They actually want our feedback in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I supply and install BCT tiles to almost all of my customers and have done for the past few years.
As with everything in life it comes down to price, customers are not that interested in the quality as such as to them a tile is a tile, they are not fitting them.
We get round most of the problems by opening and mixing several boxes at a time and throwing away the really bad ones.
If I start pricing jobs with higher quality but more expensive tiles I won’t get the work and I have a responsibility to the guys who rely on the work I supply.
That said they can be pretty bad with bowing, glazing faults and size difference even in the same box, especially the Willow range which can be terrible.
Let’s hope they do listen and make the changes to production and quality and we can be proud to push BCT products in the future.

OP
D

Dumbo

I supply and install BCT tiles to almost all of my customers and have done for the past few years.
As with everything in life it comes down to price, customers are not that interested in the quality as such as to them a tile is a tile, they are not fitting them.
We get round most of the problems by opening and mixing several boxes at a time and throwing away the really bad ones.
If I start pricing jobs with higher quality but more expensive tiles I won’t get the work and I have a responsibility to the guys who rely on the work I supply.
That said they can be pretty bad with bowing, glazing faults and size difference even in the same box, especially the Willow range which can be terrible.
Let’s hope they do listen and make the changes to production and quality and we can be proud to push BCT products in the future.
Do you tell your customers they are getting a second rate product .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
No because I don’t believe they are second rate as such, yes there can be size variations and glazing faults but then the price reflects this.
The tiles perform as they should when fitted, it sometimes takes slightly longer fitting them which is our problem not the customers.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

@Boggs - every time you throw away a tile it increases that ‘price’, the extra time costs you money, the poor glaze WILL come back and bite you especially on their wall/floor tiles that are only sold for bathrooms.
You might as well just buy quality tiles in the first place as this manufacturer is setting the tile game back decades.

OP
I

Italy

I remember a few years ago there was also the third choice.
and before that there was the first choice with the words written in red, the second in blue and the third in green. old times

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

@antonio - not in England since Minton made 6inch tiles have we had a decent manufacturer of tiles!
They have never got the hang of making large format ceramics and porcelain are not available here.
It was a transformation of our trade when Italian tiles arrived on our shores, but of course they had no spacer lugs or glazed edges so we had to invent plastic tile trim and pegs!!

OP
I

Italy

@antonio - not in England since Minton made 6inch tiles have we had a decent manufacturer of tiles!
They have never got the hang of making large format ceramics and porcelain are not available here.
It was a transformation of our trade when Italian tiles arrived on our shores, but of course they had no spacer lugs or glazed edges so we had to invent plastic tile trim and pegs!!
I keep thinking ....
why a bigger brand does not buy bct?
I can not find the answer ....
that is, the answer maybe I know it, but I miss the confirmation.
who wants to answer me?
1 all the machines are to be thrown away and the investment is too high?
2 produce in uk could cost too much import and export and produce
not enough just to uk?
3 lack of raw materials?
all this runs in my head and I think that all questions
They could fit into one answer. YES

Reaction score

Be honest what position do you hold in bct?

Personally my whole companies reputation stands 'our perfect finish'

Yes we charge more than our rivals, however we offer a clean, neat and tidy finish with the right prep work done to ensure that our jobs will last the test of time.

When we are opening boxes of tiles and there is 3-5mm differences in size. How can you possibly offer a perfect job? Yes some clever grouting and joint variations hide some mistakes but patterns on tiles not lining up and cracked tile glazing on tiles! There is some things that even the most skilled tiler can't hide from the naked eye.

Personally I cringe everytime i walk into a job and there is bct onsite. It should be the opposite! Yes bct tiles, nice easy job with great tiles. Bad days when I favour Turkish or Romanian tiles over British tiles. .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Ah, that took longer than I thought it would.
Positions I hold are:
Father
Husband
CEO
Head of sales
Pa/administrator
Accountant
Plumber
Tiler
Labourer
Cleaner
*** wiper, along with many others, but none affiliated with BCT.
Wish I was, I bet they offer a much better pension scheme than I am on.
Although this thread has got me thinking today so have approached alternative tile distributors to see what else is on offer.
But in the meantime let’s hope BCT listen to us and do make changes to quality, even if this means increasing prices, as surely being able to offer a quality British product would do our industry the world of good.

Peace out!

OP
B

Blunt Tool

I think it’s a conspiracy, bct tiles are just a front for all the no’s against leaving the European Union and showing us the British crap we will be left with!
Ps the earth is flat that’s why levels work ;)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If you're in a position that you don't have to, or want to fit these tiles, then don't fit them.
Personally I'm not that fussed, there not the best tiles in the world, but with a bit of fiddling around you can make a decent job....
Just ...!! :)
IMG_20180518_144102.jpg

Reply to British Ceramic Tiles - They actually want our feedback in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock