Discuss Has an expert done this job? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Alternatively, the grout was very wet or he over wet the floor when washing off the grout the first time. The replaced tile looks better with the darker grout as you can hardly see it but ideally you want to see so it matches the rest

R

Reggiethethird

Alternatively, the grout was very wet or he over wet the floor when washing off the grout the first time. The replaced tile looks better with the darker grout as you can hardly see it but ideally you want to see so it matches the rest
Totally agree, I wish this was the colour we had for the rest of the floor, it's much whiter than we were expecting.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What is the colour stated on the grout bag?

The problem with the whiter grout line is that your eye is drawn to it and away from the tile, whereas the darker grout blends in to the tile colour and then you see the beauty of the tile

R

Reggiethethird

What is the colour stated on the grout bag?

The problem with the whiter grout line is that your eye is drawn to it and away from the tile, whereas the darker grout blends in to the tile colour and then you see the beauty of the tile
It's Grey and was the recommended by porcelnosa for the colour of tile we purchased.

IMG_20170901_183408.jpg

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It will state a colour on the label near the barcode

R

Reggiethethird

For anyone interested, here is the email I sent to our contractor yesterday. I'd say I've been fairly diplomatic.

Xxxxx tried his best to rectify the situation with the tiles over the last two days but I'm afraid we are now left with some big gaps to fill in the architraves. I did manage to stop him before he cut anymore this short and as you can see from the pics we managed to get it right on a couple of them after some guidence regarding how the tiles should be fitted and insisting the wood was cut to the correct length.

1. On the architraves that have been cut too short, we will need joiner to replace these please. I did have a chat to the joiner and even he agreed cutting the architrave to lay the tile was fairly standard practice to create a clean finish nowadays.

2. Where tiles have been removed the adjoining tiles edge has been damaged and quite a few tiles are sitting proud and are trip hazards.

3. Many of the grout lines are different widths and many tiles do not line up correctly as mentioned previously. I have attached one example but there are numerous.

4. The new tile that has been laid by the island has a completely different grout colour, in fact it's the colour grey we were originally expecting based on the colour suggested by porcelnosa for these a tiles (not white), which means the grout has not been mixed following the directions 1 part per 1 litre of water or mixed in a dirty bucket. I'd be interested to know how this was measured? Again not sure what we can do about this other than raking out and regrouting which means damaging the tiles either side even more than they are already. We will have to look at this everyday unfortunately.

I really don't think there is much we can do at this stage short of ripping up and starting again, so we will have to live with this now but as far as we are concerned this is far from perfect and will always be a disappointment in what was meant to be our dream kitchen and living room.

We need to have chat about the £36m2 cost of this job. This is what I was originally quoted by a professional tiler (they certainly do exist, and I think they would be offended if we suggested they were all generalists) not a general tradesman and I'm really sorry to say this but this is not an A1 professional tiling job in our honest opinion. I actually took yesterday off work so I could be close to what was being done, this isn't what I was expecting based on the standard of work from the rest of your team, which has been good.

Please keep this email between us, as I mean no disrespect to xxxx, he's obviously well respected in his field and has done good work for you for many years across a few trades by the sounds of it. For a floor costing over 6 grand we were looking for perfection from a dedicated tradesmen experienced in laying large format tiles and attention to detail we have not seen here. This is what we were paying for.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Well if that is the case then the second grout is the right colour it should be when it's dry. As stated before there was definitely too much water used originally.

W

WetSaw

Not a perfect solution but you may be able to use a colour enhancer on the original grout. Does it go darker if you dampen it?

R

Reggiethethird

Not a perfect solution but you may be able to use a colour enhancer on the original grout. Does it go darker if you dampen it?
Yes it goes darker when wet. Is this a good sign that an enhancer can be used?

D

dave l and l

its a shame you have been let down . i dont think i would be paying for any of this job until you are satisfied with the floor if its all from the same company and icertainly wouldnt be paying 36 per metre for that, did you see how he was fixing the tiles, by that i mean was he using a trowel on the floor or was he putting spots on adhesive on the back of the tile

R

Reggiethethird

its a shame you have been let down . i dont think i would be paying for any of this job until you are satisfied with the floor if its all from the same company and icertainly wouldnt be paying 36 per metre for that, did you see how he was fixing the tiles, by that i mean was he using a trowel on the floor or was he putting spots on adhesive on the back of the tile
From what I saw he was laying it thick on the floor and the back of the tile, hence using nearly double the amount of adhesive as was recommended.

R

Reggiethethird

Latest update, spoke with the 'tiler' this morning.

His words 'i mixed the grout based on consistency' so you didn't measure it and the water mix exactly as per instructions on the bag? 'no'. So now how do we ensure the other half of our floor is the same colour? 'well I'll mix to the right consistency and we'll have to hope for the best'

What a farce.

Reply to Has an expert done this job? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks