Discuss Amtico - but can we wait 5 months for floor to dry? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

atsgmo

-
Reaction score
We are looking for flooring for our new kitchen, lounge and hallway and would like to use LVT throughout. The vast majority will be floorboards but we have had underfloor heating put in a relatively small area of the kitchen and lounge which was screeded with 100mm depth about 2 weeks ago. We have been advised that any LVT/Amtico type flooring will require 5 months before it can be installed due to the screeding needing to dry. Our builder is trying to get us to install porcelain but we would rather LVT as it is warmer on the feet and cheaper, but we don't want to wait so long for the flooring to be laid as it will delay the rest of the project finishing - and the builder obviously doesn't want to wait either. Can anyone advise on what we should do here - we don't want to make a mistake and for the flooring to come up in a few months time.

Reaction score
Just for info it needs to dry for tilling also. Moisture has to go somewhere,if you put down tile you trap it under the tile. When you turn UFH on it will all expand.

atsgmo

-
Reaction score
Just for info it needs to dry for tilling also. Moisture has to go somewhere,if you put down tile you trap it under the tile. When you turn UFH on it will all expand.
Thank you. So how long should we wait (or insist with the builder) if we go for porcelain tiles?

Reaction score
40 days plus 120 days = 160 days, which is just over 5 months.

Surely you looked into this at an earlier stage?
I am assuming a sand/cement screed; other screeds will have different drying times- ask whoever laid the screed.

Reaction score
I usually go by 1mm a day so at least 100 days fo 100mm screed. I would be checking humidity levels even then with a electronic meter. Officially you should be doing evasive checking i.e. break it open and see what it's actually doing.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
1mm a day for the 1st 40 days 0.5 mm a day after that. is it a liquid screed?
you can force dry them. If you google RB liquid screeds i think it will have info
on it or give you some advice

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There are lots of options depending on the screed type. Liquid DPMs, fast track moisture suppressants, uncoupling membranes, force dry techniques so it really depends on the screed type as to what you can do.

B

ben_gee

you dont need an electronic meter, lay a piece of plastic (eg DPM) and weigh it down, lift it after a couple of days; if it's wet or the floor colour where it was is different from the surrounding - then you need to wait some more time.

Reply to Amtico - but can we wait 5 months for floor to dry? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks