Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiles on wooden floor: moving and grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

pilsburypie

Hi all. First post as I found this forum whilst searching for my problem. Had a builder round last March to "do" my 1st floor bathroom (move wall, plaster, paint, tile install new suite). The floor which floor boards was covered in 6mm marine ply, screwed every ft and flexible adhesive and flexible bal grout was used.

Within 2 weeks the grout had cracked and some bit had risen. I asked him to sort which he did by just scraping out the offending areas of grout and redoing. That seemed OK for the couple of weeks he was finishing off. Over the last 10 months the tiles have slumped and risen, grout has come out and cracked and the whole floor looks really tatty. I have contacted him and after a few words he has come round and agreed to take the floor up and re-lay saying it maybe the movement between the floorboards and joists that is causing movement. He also says if it happens again it will not be his fault as it must be a "whip" in the joists causing it.

I really don't want another tatty floor in a few months so am wondering if the same will happen again or if he is saying all this to absolve a sloppy job done in the first instance. I know loads of people with tiled floors over floorboards without this problem.... Have any of you heared about tiles moving due to flexing joists? A bloke at tiles-r-us recons that it should no way happen with BAL adhesives and grout.......

Could do with some impartial advice so I can bite the bullet and lay laminate or lino if it is a no-brainer.

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• tile1-1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 125
  • tile2-1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 115
  • tile3-1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 107
G

Gazzer

6mm ply is too thin. 15mm minimum is recommended. 18mm more readily available. If the Floor was free from deflection before you had the tiles laid then a 6mm tile backer board would have been the answer.

Only way to cure your problem now is to redo it.

D

doug boardley

This is exactly why 6mm ply as an overlay is a no no! I'd recommend he removes the floor boards and installs 18mm WBP plywood and then overlay with 6mm hardiebacker board. Whilst floorboards are up, he'll be wise to put some more noggins in too.

D

diamondtiling

The tiling is appalling. Get someone else to set them next time is my advice.

It would not have mattered aqua if the tiles were perfectly laid, they are on the wrong substrate and were always going to have problems.

:thumbsup:

Reaction score
6 mm ply is way to thin, if floor high is issue, then you could remove floor boards, and put ply straight on noggins and then overlay with 6mm hardiebacker board, or 12mm ply +12 mm ply and overlay floor with Ditra mating, that works too :thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

sorry this has happened to you pilsburypie

the above advice is spot on and i wont add to it

the guy in tiles r us is clueless and I would ignore his advice

tell your builder he has specified your job wrong and he needs to come back in and redo it or you will take legal action against him

D

david campbell

i wouldn't bother to get him back to sort it,i would demand a full refund,take it up yourself(shouldn't be too hard by the looks of the pics) and get a decent tiler in to do it properly because if thats his first attampt then i'm not sure his second would be much better:thumbsup:

ps- welcome to the forum

A

aqua blue

"Have any of you heared about tiles moving due to flexing joists?"

Could be true, but had the job been done correctly he would have been able to check for that and added noggins if needed. With the correct flooring most of the flex in the joists would have been taken out. All joists have some movement, that's why it's important to have a thicker more stable floor upon which to tile.

A

aqua blue

I see it like this....

Apart from doing the job right.
Floor tiles are heavy.
Checking the condition and strenght of the joists has a safety issue too.

G

Gazzatile

Yes your right the more weight you put on the floor the more movement you are likley to create. Agree with the lads 6mm is not suitable for tiling onto.

R

Rich

As everybody above has said (especially Diamondtiling :thumbsup:). All the blame is on the builder, he has no idea what he is doing when it comes to tiling. The joists should have been secured before laying min 15mm ply. Get your money back and If you send Dave a private message Im sure he will give you the details of one of the experts from your area who can put the job right.
P.S
Spread the word, dont listen to builders who say "Yeah, I can do your tiling" :smilewinkgrin:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Sorry about your floor, but as above 6mm is not the way to prep a timber floor. Hope you get it sorted:thumbsup: Good luck.

P

pilsburypie

Thankyou all for you huge response and advice. A tiler he certainly isn't loads of his cuts have chipped edged and his mitred corners for the trim are rubbish...... but this really faded into insignificance 10 months ago when the job was done due to the flooring issues.

The tiles on the floor were flat initially, the slump of some on their beds has happened over the last 10 months since they were laid.

He is coming back to take the floor up but pretty much intended to relay doing the same! So your advice (apart from telling him to get lost and taking to court) is to take the floor up and lay 15mm ply over the floorboards before relaying........ or as some say remove floorboards and put 18mm followed by 6mm?

Seems mad me telling this "expert" what to do!!

Cheers

Reply to Tiles on wooden floor: moving and grout cracking in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks