Discuss Tile edging at a worktop. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MattBennett

Hi, Id like to start by saying thanks very much for all the great info on here has been helpful so far.

I was wondering if some one could help me.

I have recently installed a new kitchen in my house and intend on tiling 3 of the walls. Where the tiles meet the worktops I am going to use some trim that I have bought with a profile as shown in the picture.

http://www.*******************/images/ETI%20Tech-l.jpg

I have had the worktops cut with a gap left for the oven. Where the worktop finishes how do I "finish" the above trim so that I can put a tile directly next to it and "start" it again in 600mm time for the oven.

Regards Matt

D

DHTiling

Hi matt..

Can i ask why you want to use a trim like this.. is a neat silicone finish not better,.

M

MattBennett

I would like to use it because I hate siliconing and am using charcoal grout on a grey tile with wooden worktops and dont want a white silicone all the way around. I have brushed handles and brushed window trim and wanted to finish the tops of the worktop to match.

M

MattBennett

SAM_3587.jpg

I really like the way this looks, and more importantly so does the wife, and she is paying the bill! :thumbsup:

P

paul flight

:welcome: bewear charcoal grout has a lot of black dye in it if this gets into the grain on the wood work top you will not get it out!!!:mad2:

M

MattBennett

Guys, I really appreciate all your suggestions and am not shunning them!

I think a return mitre is my only option here!

The worktops are not real wood, they are laminate. I do intend on covering them so that I dont get adhesive/grout on them, but I didnt know that the grout would stain. Thanks ones again for all your suggestions.

D

DHTiling

No probs.. the grout will be ok on laminate.. clean as you go.. plenty clean water.. and sponges..LOL..

I think the return mitres is the best option... we just don't like these trims that's all.. ok for diy as they make an easy finish..

Some other brands do have end caps.. so in your case a mitre will suffice..:thumbsup:

C

Colour Republic

Ok from the picture that looks like a laminate worktop not solid timber, if you do decide to use the trim then you will still need to silicone the worktop to the wall before you start tiling, If you don't water will travel under the trim by the sink and blow the worktop without a doubt. All cut edges of the wortop should be sealed too.

I would use a matching coloured silicone but if you like the trim then mitre as Dave says, just remember to file down any sharp ends for safety and to give a finished tidy look. Don't think i've ever done it with tile trim before but let me see if I have any pictures of skirting board with it done

C

Colour Republic

So it is laminate, do you know how the sink was installed? was it siliconed in or was a foam strip laid around the edges? Ideally the cut out for the sink was also sealed. It looks like quite a nice mason mitre on the worktop from the pics so hopefully the kitchen fitter knew what he was doing

Reply to Tile edging at a worktop. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi there Homeowner here who recently had my kitchen tiled by a professional tiler. We’ve been...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley