Discuss Tile Cutting = Cracked Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteUK

Hi all!

After my tiles all dried out, I have set about starting my bathroom. Here is a pic!

Have no reached the ceiling and doing long (30cm) cuts. Using a scoring tile cutter that supposedly goes up to 30cm, it just keeps smashing the tiles when I try to snap them. Is it just rubbish? Would a cheapie b&q job do the business (only place local to me and open :/)

Thanks!
Ste

image.jpeg

I

Italy

sorry, I believe that it would be better to change the decoration strip setting.
maybe you saw brick type .without alignment tile lines ;)

Wishiwasatoptiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are you laying the cutter on the floor or on on a work bench, you maybe pushing through and smashing the tile. Also how old is your scoring wheel. May need replacing.

S

SteUK

All down to personal taste antonio ;) it's what the wife wants, and who is going to go against that force of nature!

Great advice Wishi. Wish I had checked back sooner! The wheel has cut about 10 tiles (over the height - 20cm) and had been fine. I was cutting on the floor though. Ended up, in my blind panic of having half a bucket of adhesive to be used (not rapid setting), scoring on the cutter and breaking over a corner by hand. Worked well enough!

Cheers,
Ste

image.jpeg

I

Italy

All down to personal taste antonio ;) it's what the wife wants, and who is going to go against that force of nature!

Great advice Wishi. Wish I had checked back sooner! The wheel has cut about 10 tiles (over the height - 20cm) and had been fine. I was cutting on the floor though. Ended up, in my blind panic of having half a bucket of adhesive to be used (not rapid setting), scoring on the cutter and breaking over a corner by hand. Worked well enough!
Also in Italy command the wives!!! ahahah

Cheers,
Ste

View attachment 80232

P

p4ulo

Good one matey, looks alright too.
In hindsight, I would've said you could've moved the back face of tiles across so you lost that thin cut down the LHS. But, it all looks clean and tidy and it all lines up!

S

SteUK

Thanks for your kind words p4ulo. Went with the way it is as there would have been a small column by the shower 45degree piece of not. It was all a bit of a compromise one way or the other.

Whilst I have you though. Wonder if I can beg some advice? Woke up today with a sudden panic that I had my left enough expansion to the wall (left in the picture). I left 2 to 3 mm, but fear that adhesive will have filled the gap and I didn't clean it out properly. That then led on to a panic about the backer board behind. I can't remember, but think I just smoother over the excess adhesive, filling the gap to the wall. Pretty sure I left a few mill between the board on the short wall to the long as I remember putting silicon in. The walls are internal, made up of 5cm cinder block with a sand cement render and finish plaster (hence the backer board). They are not tied into the ceiling completely as I recall.

Do you think I have a problem??

S

SteUK

Probably important to add that between the backer and tile is a waterproof membrain with rubber like tape in the corners.

S

SteUK

In fact, I have a picture fro. August last year when I put the boards up on that wall. Shows I did fill the gap :-S

Should I be worried? I suppose I could remove tiles and chop out that corner a bit, then make good again and re-waterproof.
image.jpeg

S

SteUK

Saying all that...

I have a picture or two that shows the sand and cement render that appears to bridge that corner...

image.jpeg image.jpeg

P

p4ulo

I'm sure it'll be fine mate, as long as you try to keep the corners relatively clear of anything other than silicone from now on!

S

SteUK

Thanks for the advice...

But, I am naturally a hugely risk averse kind of guy. I don't usually go against a professionals advice. However, for complete peace of mind I think I will take the extra time to cut open the two corners and chop a gap back in.

Addressing this, in theory, will only take me a day, cost a few extra tiles (have looooads spare as bought a job lot) and another tub of Mapei waterproofer. I have asked Mapei if cutting the WPS and remaking it after will pose a problem.

You probably think me completely mad?! I am just paranoid about either...a) tile falling into my two year old daughter whilst she is in the bath, b) having to rip all this hard effort out and start all over again.

F

Flintstone

Thanks for the advice...

But, I am naturally a hugely risk averse kind of guy. I don't usually go against a professionals advice. However, for complete peace of mind I think I will take the extra time to cut open the two corners and chop a gap back in.

Addressing this, in theory, will only take me a day, cost a few extra tiles (have looooads spare as bought a job lot) and another tub of Mapei waterproofer. I have asked Mapei if cutting the WPS and remaking it after will pose a problem.

You probably think me completely mad?! I am just paranoid about either...a) tile falling into my two year old daughter whilst she is in the bath, b) having to rip all this hard effort out and start all over again.

I wouldn't bother going to all that trouble, it will be fine

S

SteUK

Gosh, two professionals telling me to leave it now. What a pickle! Thanks for your advice Localtiler.

Just not sure I can leave it the way it is, knowing it might fail, and with it ruin the whole wall, and I could address it with an extra days effort and a cost of £25.

If I was to go against your advice, do you think there will be an issue re-waterproofing up the corners with the liquid membrane stuff?

Thanks again!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are you an engineer, health and safety officer?
A Tiler on the forum fills his corners with grout and silicones over it.....and according to him with no issues Inc his own bathroom .......not me btw.
I'm sure it will be fine.

Reply to Tile Cutting = Cracked Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, first post, asking about career change and possible entry route into the industry. I know...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley