Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Cutting = Cracked Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

p4ulo

I'm sure it'll be fine mate, as long as you try to keep the corners relatively clear of anything other than silicone from now on!

S

SteUK

Thanks for the advice...

But, I am naturally a hugely risk averse kind of guy. I don't usually go against a professionals advice. However, for complete peace of mind I think I will take the extra time to cut open the two corners and chop a gap back in.

Addressing this, in theory, will only take me a day, cost a few extra tiles (have looooads spare as bought a job lot) and another tub of Mapei waterproofer. I have asked Mapei if cutting the WPS and remaking it after will pose a problem.

You probably think me completely mad?! I am just paranoid about either...a) tile falling into my two year old daughter whilst she is in the bath, b) having to rip all this hard effort out and start all over again.

F

Flintstone

Thanks for the advice...

But, I am naturally a hugely risk averse kind of guy. I don't usually go against a professionals advice. However, for complete peace of mind I think I will take the extra time to cut open the two corners and chop a gap back in.

Addressing this, in theory, will only take me a day, cost a few extra tiles (have looooads spare as bought a job lot) and another tub of Mapei waterproofer. I have asked Mapei if cutting the WPS and remaking it after will pose a problem.

You probably think me completely mad?! I am just paranoid about either...a) tile falling into my two year old daughter whilst she is in the bath, b) having to rip all this hard effort out and start all over again.

I wouldn't bother going to all that trouble, it will be fine

S

SteUK

Gosh, two professionals telling me to leave it now. What a pickle! Thanks for your advice Localtiler.

Just not sure I can leave it the way it is, knowing it might fail, and with it ruin the whole wall, and I could address it with an extra days effort and a cost of £25.

If I was to go against your advice, do you think there will be an issue re-waterproofing up the corners with the liquid membrane stuff?

Thanks again!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Are you an engineer, health and safety officer?
A Tiler on the forum fills his corners with grout and silicones over it.....and according to him with no issues Inc his own bathroom .......not me btw.
I'm sure it will be fine.

S

SteUK

Professional anxiety worrier Andy ;( (actually a computer programmer - maybe why I feel the need to try and make everything as safe and break-free as possible)

It's the lack of gap from the wall to backer board that concerns me the most. My understanding is that natural wall movement might put undue pressure on the boards and try to pop them off the wall. No?

Reaction score
Not really, I couldn't think of much more to say, other than a simple No to the question you asked
(bearing in mind 2 or 3 others have already said the same)

S

SteUK

You are absolutely right, and I apologise. I have no right to be anything but grateful for everyone's advice, and I am. I just want to do as good a job as I can that will be safe and last.

Reply to Tile Cutting = Cracked Tiles in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen