Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Struggling to cut porcelain tiles with Sigma 3D2 in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I've tried cutting my first porcelain floor tile with the sigma cutter - it failed miserably. I've got a bucket full of curved cuts from a single 600x600 porcelanosa VENIS tile. Maybe 2 cuts oout of the 10 I tried worked.

Before I go and hire a bridge saw for the weekend, have any of you sigma users got any advice or tips? I've tried light scoring, heavy scoring, double scoring etc.

In contrast, it cuts ceramic with ease. I could even ease the crack up the tiles. In contrast the porcelain tile has no give at all....

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just to add , make sure you set handle depth to suit tile depth , this makes full use of the breaker ... 5mm from rail to handle runner.. Then score nd put breaker foot about an inch in and sharp quick wack on the handle to shock the tile and if you have set the depth correctly , then no chance of crushing the tile no matter how hard you hit the handle.

a common mistake is not setting the cutter to suit tile thickness , a big advantage of the sigma over any other machine.

OP
R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Don't have all that faff with a Rubi!
Just scribe and hit it with a hammer.
and if that does not work you can try driving over your rubi or smack it against a wall or use a flame thrower or just do the right thing and throw it off a cliff :smilewinkgrin:

OP
S

Stanman

Just to add , make sure you set handle depth to suit tile depth , this makes full use of the breaker ... 5mm from rail to handle runner.. Then score nd put breaker foot about an inch in and sharp quick wack on the handle to shock the tile and if you have set the depth correctly , then no chance of crushing the tile no matter how hard you hit the handle.

a common mistake is not setting the cutter to suit tile thickness , a big advantage of the sigma over any other machine.

Now that is a good tip - I've chipped a few on the base of the cutter. I've managed to cut them with a deep double score. This only works on the large pieces - the small 20mm strips I need are proving unpredictable - I did manage one strip from 3 attempts!!!

OP
S

Sigma UK

There will always be some tiles it just won't cut. Mainly anything with a thick glaze on top. (wet cut only). Are you using the 20mm strips or just trying to cut 20mm off the whole tile?.

OP
S

Stanman

My setting out has left me with 20mm strips. Moving the tiles about will eliminate it, BUT it throws out the grout lines everywhere else..

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Ahh, if you only want 20mm strips then try cutting a 40mm strip then cut that strip in half to make a 20mm strip. I have found that cutting these tiles in half and then half again improves my chances of getting a decent cut.

OP
S

Stanman

Hi sean,

tried that at first with little success. It needs a decent score to work and the surface on these porcelanosa tiles is rock hard. I can often tell if its going to work - the breaker handle flexes the whole cutter if the score is insufficient.

I've also adjust the rail up to limit the range of the breaker foot, hopefully this stops the crushed bits!!!

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If the sigma could only cut 2 out off 10 , then you've got no chance with a rubi !! I've never had any bother with any of my sigmas. !!

Reaction score

Thanks @Dave for this original advice and to anyone else who can just give a wee bit more clarification on this adjustment
I've actually searched all over for how to correctly adjust the handle depth for the tile thickness: LOTS of info on how to make the adjustment but no guides as to what that adjustment should be set! :) I'm sure experienced professionals just do this by 'feel' and/or eyeball the setting - but I'd appreciate a bit more specifics in terms of measurement. This is the first (only!) advice I've actually even been able to find that gives a real 'specification' (or at least recommendation) for the adjustment (although subsequently found it in the manual)
I have a Sigma Max and going to be cutting some dense Porcelain for first time - I'm not sure exactly what is meant by "5mm from rail to handle runner" - from the manual it appears first positioning the breaker foot on the surface of the tile? And then the 5-7mm appears to be from the top of the rail to the the top of the 'slot' in the runner? (as per the added dimensional arrow I added to the original). Actually looking at this image in the detail view, I can see what appears to be a white band on the side of that guide slot, aligning with the top of the rail - is that physically present as a visual guide for that 5-7mm window?
Have to say without this post I don't think I would have deduced what was essentially included in the manual - but the descriptive actually made me realize 'ah THAT's what that means!'

Attachments

• Sigma_thickness_adjust.jpg
    Sigma_thickness_adjust.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 29

Reply to Struggling to cut porcelain tiles with Sigma 3D2 in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock