Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Sheet Membrane vs Liquid Applied membrane in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Theres been a recent resurgence of projects (here in NZ) using sheet membranes and Im baffled as to why.
I am struggling to find any benefit in using them and we are losing out on jobs because it is too expensive, both in material cost, labour and time.
Some of the solvents used are also highly carcinogenic/flammable, which exposes our applicators to health risks and causes further problems where projects are interfacing with the public.

We are now turning away work which has sheet membranes specified, due to the risks of installer error, the price of materials/equipment, the difficulty of finding an applicator, and the time it takes to install.

We have waterproofed thousands of commercial projects with several different liquid membranes with a very high success rate, I think only two leaks detected in total over 20 years.
We have used sheet membranes twice, with two different applicators, and had issues both times. (Both installer error, but nonetheless...)

Is anyone else in the same boat?
Can only find a little info on google, but, most ironically, saying sheet membrane have less chance of human error..
Do sheet membranes have a place in the future of tile?

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Not sure as to why they are switching, but I have to agree there is less chance of error with sheet membranes. I know plenty of folks who use liquids incorrectly.

OP
B
Reaction score
Not sure as to why they are switching, but I have to agree there is less chance of error with sheet membranes. I know plenty of folks who use liquids incorrectly.

Thanks Dh
Would be interested in hearing more
Im on the other side of the fence as you can tell, but perhaps I just had some bad luck?

What sheet membranes do you use?
The problems we had were both with Ardex WPM750

D

Dumbo

I prefer sheet membranes and at present use the codex one ,
How are they carcinogenic as surely their is not dust from the product during install

OP
B
Reaction score
I prefer sheet membranes and at present use the codex one ,
How are they carcinogenic as surely their is not dust from the product during install

Sorry, just checked the safety sheets, not carcinogenic, but rather toxic.
Ardex WPM750 is not a peel and stick, it requires a solvent based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and seam primer WA98 & WPM299, and WA98s for cleanup. The adhesives not so bad, as its quite viscous, but the seam primer and solvent are quite volatile.
Found the applicator trying to use the WA98s with a cloth over his mouth, had to stop him and buy him a VOC-respirator before I let him continue..

D

Dumbo

Sorry, just checked the safety sheets, not carcinogenic, but rather toxic.
Ardex WPM750 is not a peel and stick, it requires a solvent based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and seam primer WA98 & WPM299, and WA98s for cleanup. The adhesives not so bad, as its quite viscous, but the seam primer and solvent are quite volatile.
Found the applicator trying to use the WA98s with a cloth over his mouth, had to stop him and buy him a VOC-respirator before I let him continue..
Change membrane to something simpler to use.

OP
B
Reaction score
Change membrane to something simpler to use.

That would make it too easy :laughing:
We often have specifications which dictate what materials are to be used - at the architects discretion, we can sometimes substitute for similar products.
We had offered a 10% discount on the total for using alternative materials, but architect said no.

O

Old Mod

Have you actually spoken with these architects in person, or has it only been by email?
I generally find that I can sway an architect to my way of thinking as long as I am direct and professional in my approach.
Most I find are only quoting a salesman pitch and don’t really have a clue what they’re talking about.
I’ll agree with above, I’m more comfortable with sheet membranes over a paintable tanking system.

D

Dumbo

Have you actually spoken with these architects in person, or has it only been by email?
I generally find that I can sway an architect to my way of thinking as long as I am direct and professional in my approach.
Most I find are only quoting a salesman pitch and don’t really have a clue what they’re talking about.
I’ll agree with above, I’m more comfortable with sheet membranes over a paintable tanking system.
See that doesn't work for me , I had a architect specify bal https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, so I said to him what do you want , he said bal https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ , so I said what do you want white star ,blue star ,green star, ct1, rapid set , pourable thick bed , what do want , he said well bal https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ , so I said either specify properly or don't bother as asking for one particular brand isn't specifying , and do you know what I never ended up doing that work which I dont understand because i thought we got on really well .

O

Old Mod

See that doesn't work for me , I had a architect specify bal https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, so I said to him what do you want , he said bal https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ , so I said what do you want white star ,blue star ,green star, ct1, rapid set , pourable thick bed , what do want , he said well bal https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ , so I said either specify properly or don't bother as asking for one particular brand isn't specifying , and do you know what I never ended up doing that work which I dont understand because i thought we got on really well .

Well Jerry 😊 if you spoke that way to me, I wouldn’t give you the work either! 😂😂

#justsayin 😁

D

Dumbo

Well Jerry 😊 if you spoke that way to me, I wouldn’t give you the work either! 😂😂

#justsayin 😁
Like what .
[automerge]1579555647[/automerge]
Funny thing was when I got the plans I thought I recognise that floor plan , it was a house I used to live in

O

Old Mod

so I said either specify properly or don't bother as asking for one particular brand isn't specifying ,

No it isn’t in its purist form, but he did spec a specific brand, now you get to choose which product you want, they pay the consequences.
If they don’t want your advice or guidance, they won’t take it.
It won’t be on you then will it.
So does it really matter?
As long as it’s not technically wrong, you’re in the clear, just wipe your mouth and walk away, easy.
Telling an architect he’s incompetent, is never gonna get you ‘employee of the month’ Jerry. 😂

D

Dumbo

No it isn’t in its purist form, but he did spec a specific brand, now you get to choose which product you want, they pay the consequences.
If they don’t want your advice or guidance, they won’t take it.
It won’t be on you then will it.
So does it really matter?
As long as it’s not technically wrong, you’re in the clear, just wipe your mouth and walk away, easy.
Telling an architect he’s incompetent, is never gonna get you ‘employee of the month’ Jerry. 😂
I did a job at somebody's once , and the woman said, my husband used to be an architect , meaning do a good job or else , to which I responded , don't worry madam were quite used to correcting architects

Reply to Sheet Membrane vs Liquid Applied membrane in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock