Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Sealing crackle glazed tiles? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've a kitchen splashback to do with crackle glazed hand made jobbies and the shop told the client they needed sealing, but didn't say what with, Why would they need sealed, and do they be sealed before grouting? Also what to use

cream tiles and cream grout btw

S

Saltire69

I did some of these in November. I did seal them as customer got sealer from fired earth. Check there website m8. I sealed them before grouting.

D

DHTiling

2 coats of an impregnator.. make sure to buff any excess.. grout pigment can stain them.. so seal first.

D

doug boardley

whenever I've used cracked glaze tiles like marlboroughs I've always sealed them first as even water from the wet cutter can stain them

P

peckers

As Doug has said you need to seal them as soon as you open the box, or at least enough off them that is going threw the wet cutter

F

fulabeer

I'm tiling a kitchens splash back(s) in the morning.
Cream coloured with crackle glaze, hand made/painted tiles.
It is stated that the tiles are sealed before grouting and BEFORE wet cutting.

How long do i need to leave the sealant before wet cutting? (Marlborough)
Do you think one coat will do, and do i do the edges as well?

As a side note....the tiles started making a "pinking" sound when taken out of the box.
What causes that, and will they explode? LOL...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Sealing crackle glazed tiles? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks