Search the forum,

Discuss Sealing crackle glazed tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've a kitchen splashback to do with crackle glazed hand made jobbies and the shop told the client they needed sealing, but didn't say what with, Why would they need sealed, and do they be sealed before grouting? Also what to use

cream tiles and cream grout btw

S

Saltire69

I did some of these in November. I did seal them as customer got sealer from fired earth. Check there website m8. I sealed them before grouting.

D

DHTiling

2 coats of an impregnator.. make sure to buff any excess.. grout pigment can stain them.. so seal first.

D

doug boardley

whenever I've used cracked glaze tiles like marlboroughs I've always sealed them first as even water from the wet cutter can stain them

P

peckers

As Doug has said you need to seal them as soon as you open the box, or at least enough off them that is going threw the wet cutter

F

fulabeer

I'm tiling a kitchens splash back(s) in the morning.
Cream coloured with crackle glaze, hand made/painted tiles.
It is stated that the tiles are sealed before grouting and BEFORE wet cutting.

How long do i need to leave the sealant before wet cutting? (Marlborough)
Do you think one coat will do, and do i do the edges as well?

As a side note....the tiles started making a "pinking" sound when taken out of the box.
What causes that, and will they explode? LOL...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Sealing crackle glazed tiles? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen