Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Gypsum backer board, Mapie grout and soundproofing. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

KateJ

You guys are so great!!! the Mapei product looks good for footsteps but not airborne noise (coming up from his stereo below). Couldn't see in the spec - can it go down onto my chipboard floor?
Does it matter where the membrane goes - its blocking sound anywhere surely. I'd feel uneasy aobut tiling onto that stuff and not the hardie board. xx

K

KateJ

Well - thats two products to look at tomorrow - can ring the manufacturers... Not gypsum then...?

xx

W

White Room

The product you showed on Amazon is mainly for walls, airborne sound is probably a fair bit more complicated, if you read the questions and answers on Amazon there's some good info.

T

Tile Shop

Good thread. Not a subject that comes up much, but worth knowing. I'm already aware of the Ditra Sound but that can work out fairly pricey. but as an alternative:

Firstly, Hardibacker over the chipboard (6mm)
Secondly, Another one we can add to the list is the CMS Regupol 4515 Multi. approx £150 per 20 sqm roll. Fixed with their own ReguBond (about £50 per tub and covers upto 40 sqm). Where the matting meets the wall, leave a gap of 3-4mm and inlay some impact isolation tape (approx £25 per 20m roll)
Thirdly, Tape the joints with high tack tape (£12 for a 50m roll).
Lastly tile with BAL Singlepart Fastflex (This can also be used to fix the matting down using a mosaic trowel, but will work out more expensive than buying the Regubond).... Use a flexible grout.
Finishing touch, cut off the excess impact tape just below the height of the tile, and fill/cover the edges with silicone.

I presume any S2 adhesive would work out cheaper but check with the manufacturer if its suitable for acoustic matting.... (Would Tilemaster Ultimate S2 work on this type of flooring @Lee@TileTown?)

K

KateJ

OK
Very nice chat with Barry at CMS Danskin. He currently recommends Soundlay but not 100% sure about ceramic tile. He'll let me know tomorrow and I'll report!

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
laying chipboard will only remove some but all of the airborne sound transmission. you will also find that if you screw it down impact sound will transmit very easily so he will hear you walking on it. there are a few acoustic membranes suitable for tiling onto that divorce the substrate from the top of the floor which will help with impact so you might want to put that down before inviting your neighbour to listen. as a general rule the more mass you can add the better for airborne sound and the more divorcement you can acheive between elements the better for airborne sound.

K

KateJ

laying chipboard will only remove some but all of the airborne sound transmission. you will also find that if you screw it down impact sound will transmit very easily so he will hear you walking on it. there are a few acoustic membranes suitable for tiling onto that divorce the substrate from the top of the floor which will help with impact so you might want to put that down before inviting your neighbour to listen. as a general rule the more mass you can add the better for airborne sound and the more divorcement you can acheive between elements the better for airborne sound.
That makes perfect sense.

K

KateJ

Well in conclusion - a solution presented itself. This stuff (the 5mm) will block airborne sound. Barrier Shield | Barrier Mat | Thin Soundproofing - http://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/wall-soundproofing/barrier-shield

I now have a moral dilemma however. Do I tile above someone's bedroom where my tenant might walk through the kitchen (directly above) at any time day or night? I could spend on impact sound blocking for my neighbour's benefit but he can contribute nothing financially. An accoustician had told me that tles have been banned on upstairs flats in London because of all the trouble they cause... is this really so?

Reply to Gypsum backer board, Mapie grout and soundproofing. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks