Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Gypsum backer board, Mapie grout and soundproofing. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

K

KateJ

Hello
I never did find a local plumber to advise me - so let's see if this works...

I'm hearing that Mapier grout is the very best and there seem to be various kinds.... I'm keen to prevent mould in the kitchen and bathroom. Can anyone vouch for it - or will any grout do?

I'd really like to soundproof my floor so that the guy downstairs can't hear contact noise from above but my chipboard floor has plasterboard immediately below it so I can get it up easily.

I had a chat with Gypsum this morning about their 6mm backerboard. It must be fixed with grout and screwed down as well. Other advice I've been given is 18mm plywood fixed to the floor - then tile.

There are various soundproof membranes on the market 3mm thick on a roll? How well do these work in your experience?

What do you guys think?

W

White Room

I'd really like to soundproof my floor so that the guy downstairs can't hear contact noise from above but my chipboard floor has plasterboard immediately below it so I can get it up easily.

Do you mean plasterboard fixed on top of the joists with chipboard fixed onto that...

K

KateJ

Hello
Sorry - I wasn't clear. My floor is cheapo tongue and groove chipboard and directly below that is plasterboard (no gap). I want to tile the entire floor so - gypsum backerboard + tiles or some kind of soundproof membrane + backerboard + tiles? ....OR some kind of soundproof membrane + 18mm plywood+ tiles?
Kx

W

White Room

Do you have any pics that show what your getting at, the plasterboard thing is what I tried to describe ??

K

KateJ

Gosh sorry Yes!!!! I'm not sure what is below the plasterboard. Joists must be there somewhere but not seen them. Kx

W

White Room

Sounds like you have a system called "Gyproc S1 floor system" which believe it or not was designed as a sound insulation sound system, there should be, if I'm right, insulation below the plasterboard as well.....it's working well then.

K

KateJ

The guy donwstairs had 6 years of hell with asbo tenants.. I'm concerned that tile will resonate below. His bedroom is directly beneath my galley kichen (someone will walk through it a lot). xx

W

White Room

My be worth checking that there is no regulation on what floor finish maybe allowed in a flat/apartment from the lease hold or tenancy.

K

KateJ

There is no problem - checked with solicitor. Soo - any comments on my cunning plan?
I got some 18mm ply so will screw it down and arrange tiles on top. I'll invite my neighbour to listen to me walking on itas an experiment!!!
Kx

K

KateJ

ooohhh!!! What's hardie? What's a single part adhesive? So sound proof membrane at the bottom??? It's the great British Tile off! xx

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Think I'd go with a 6mm Marmox type board then the soundproofing. All glued and siliconed around the perimeter. I'd imagine you may get more sound transferred through mechanical fixings.

Reply to Gypsum backer board, Mapie grout and soundproofing. in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks