Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Black Limestone Paving Nightmare!!!!! Please help!!!! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello,

I have just laid black indian limestone in my garden. I am halfway through grouting it all but tested the jet washer on the finished bits to see how it came out. Unfortunaley the slabs don't look any different. There are sandy patches (even though i got all the excess cement off the slabs) all over the tile, and even the dust from when cutting the tiles appears to have absorbed into the slabs. The guy i bought it off supplied me with a sealer to put on after i grouted and cleaned the tiles and said everything will go black. However, after spraying water over the finished slabs, the tiles go black but all the marks still show through.

Please help!!! I don't know how to fix this.

Thanks.

OP
D

DHTiling

They should have been sealed before grouting..

You might need to use a residue remover..

OP
U

Unregistered

Wow, that was a quick reply!!
Any idea what residue remover to use?
Thanks

OP
D

DHTiling

The residue that you have.. how bad is it... could realy do with a pic..

If you join then we can have a look and ten recommned son=mething to correct this..

OP
C

Cheeseboy7

Hi, i've now registered and attached a picture. Unfortunately, couldn't load the original because file too big but took a picture of the original on my phone. Not the best quality but gives you an idea. The darker bit is water on the slabs.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo[1].jpg
    photo[1].jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 821
OP
D

DHTiling

OOO not nice...

The dark is emphasising it i think.. Can you take some more tomorrow unless you have some daylight ones,,then they need resizing to no bigger than 2400x1200

OP
C

Cheeseboy7

I've resized it! this one's better.

Area is 34m squared.

Thanks

Attachments

• slabs.jpg
    slabs.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 940
OP
D

DHTiling

Jesus..

Ok that is one badly stained area...

With it being Black limestone i was worried about etching it when recommending a cleaner.. but that is well stained..

were you not advised to seal first..?

OP
C

Cheeseboy7

No. The guy sold me a sealer to put on after the slabs were laid a grouted. A sealer would have sorted it i assume. Is it fixable?

Thanks

OP
D

DHTiling

Yes, the sealer should have gone first and would have prevented the grout clinging to the surface..

Ok.. some products to try...

NanoScrub®

Aqua Mix NanoScrub® is an abrasive cream cleaner designed to work where other cleaners won’t. It utilizes NanoSTG (nano-sized particles) to penetrate into small surface pores where it can effectively work to remove surface stains and residues. Effective for cleaning all stone and tile surfaces. Also removes factory applied waxes and floor finishes, coating sealers, light grout residue (including epoxy), rubber and pencil marks, light mineral deposits, ground-in dirt and most sealer residues. NanoScrub is nontoxic, non-flammable and non-acidic.

Uses:

Porcelain, ceramic, polished and unpolished natural stone (such as granite, limestone, marble, slate, and travertine), grout, quarry, saltillo, terra cotta, cement pavers, masonry surfaces, and other stone, tile and grout surfaces.

More Information

Price: ÂŁ9.99 ÂŁ11.74 Including VAT at 17.5%

Try this first..

and if no joy then this..

qua Mix Phosphoric Acid Substitute is a premixed acidic treatment designed to remove grout haze, mineral deposits, rust stains, mortar smears, and efflorescence. Effective for the removal of most hard water stains, lime deposits, and soap scum. Also removes cement grout and mortar residue from tile, concrete, and masonry. Etches concrete. No VOCs, No phosphates.

Aqua Mix No VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) formulas help provide better indoor and outdoor air quality compared to similar traditional products.

Uses:
Acid resistant natural stone (such as granite and slate), ceramic, porcelain, quarry, saltillo, terra cotta, and other acid resistant tile and stone.

More Information

Price: ÂŁ6.35 ÂŁ7.46 Including VAT at 17.5%

Please follow all the instructions and hopefully it can be saved... Black limestone is one you have to be careful with when grouting and the advice you got from the supplier was wrong.

Try those and let us know how you get on...

if they work pretty good then you can use another product to darken the end result and bring some colour back..

State-of-the-art Polycure technology

Aqua Mix - Enrich'N'Seal is a premium, no-sheen, enhanced-look penetrating sealer

Formulated to darken, enrich and highlight the character and beauty of unsealed natural stone.

It rejuvenates the colour and improves the appearance of worn and weathered stone.

- May used as a pre-grouting sealer
- Allows moisture-vapour transmission
- Effectively seals and darkens the colour of grout joints.

Use on unsealed natural stone such as:
- Marble
- Granite
- Slate
- Limestone
- Travertine
- Quartzite
- Sandstone

Effective for interior and exterior applications.

Warning - Once enhanced, stone cannot be restored to original color appearance

Coverage: 12 - 35 Sq M per coat per 946ml bottle (depends on material)

Expected life/wear: Up to 15 years

Data Sheet pdf

Price: ÂŁ49.39 ÂŁ58.03 Including VAT at 17.5%:welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

Cheeseboy7

Thanks for all the help.

When the slabs are all wet they don't look too bad at all. If i put the sealer on top (without using your suggested cleaners) will they stay black? I paid ÂŁ50 for a couple of litres of white liquid (said to mix 50/50 with water) which the guy said will make the slabs go black. I don't know what it is becuase he put it in a couple of water bottles. He said the slabs would turn blue and then back to black once dry and not to worry. I don't think he was trying to pull a fast one becuase he got a reputable landscaping customer.

Cheers

Reply to Black Limestone Paving Nightmare!!!!! Please help!!!! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock