Discuss AKW TUFF former and liquid tanking ???? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

F

Flintstone

My advice regarding tiles would be to avoid Wickes as there tiles are largely terribly quality. And mosaics, yes they follow the curves but there's a lot of grout there to go bad, unless you use epoxy grout.

Jon329

TF
Reaction score
So I have bought my hardiebacker board. I'm going to put it up on Thursday. Quick question, am I right in thinking I just need to stick the 6mm stuff to the ply wood floor with tile adhesive, no screws?

And do you think using hardiebacker 12mm on these stud walls is a good idea? I was going to sceew them to the stud timber with "gold" branded screws.

Just hope the boards don't warp being stood up like this before I get around to doing it on thursday

20190226_185508.jpg 20190226_185533.jpg

Last edited:
W

White Room

Use screws only 20mm long, saves going through pipes etc under the floor boards.
Gold screws if memory serve me right.

Reaction score
Just sticking my oar in one one point. In my humble opinion ALWAYS underboard EVERY floor FORMER. Even when the manufacturers say that their product doesn't need it. It does! Think about it. Even with flexible adhesive and grout, tiles and grout do not like ANY movement. Even the slightest movement could result in a hairline crack in the grout (and in some cases the tiles). This will result in water ingress under the tiles. Not a problem as far as leaks are concerned if you have tanked properly. But you will still have water under the tiles and an unhappy client. Like all building work. Get the foundations correct and you are half way there.

O

One Day

Very good point there. Impey /AKW and other "joist-sitting" tray manufacturers are historically supplying the safety vinyl installers for disabled wetrooms.

Reaction score
Quite simply if you are using AKW former then use their tanking. This way if you ever have a problem they must honour any guarantee. If you mix and match products it is a get out of jail card for any manufacturer. The tanking manufacturer can blame AKW and vice versa.

Reply to AKW TUFF former and liquid tanking ???? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks