Discuss To tank or not to tank STS board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

burg93

-
Reaction score
Hi all, probably a pretty common question but I'm going around in circles looking online for a proper answer. I'm going to be fitting some tile backer boards to a 2 wall shower enclosure soon and decided on the STS boards as they seem cheap and decent enough.

The STS technical guide just says to use their adhesive on the joists before using their washer kit to secure the boards which is fairly standard, it then goes on to say use the adhesive between boards which will waterproof seal them and eliminate the need to tape the joints. It then says you're ready to tile straight onto the boards as-is.

STS also have a video on youtube stating that if the boards are used in a shower you must tank them too... Now I don't mind doing it, the mapai kit is only fifty quid but wanted to make sure this isn't taking it over the top... In their guide do they mean you can tile straight on without tanking if you're using it on a non shower wall?

Just looking for some advice from someone who does this day in day out! Thanks.

Reaction score
Excellent advice from the lads, for £50 just do it - there is no “over the top” when it comes to preparation!!
Sounds like you’re making a good job of it, well done.

Reply to To tank or not to tank STS board in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks