Discuss Adhesive still showing through tiles 4 days after installation? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I just got a new bathroom done through a plumber, who managed the whole process (I had no dealings with the electrician or tiler). I didn't choose the tiles, they were supplied (I chose just chose a tile out of a choice of 3). The tiles were installed on Monday, all adhesive and grouting done on the same day. I know that the tiles were installed on top of the previous tiles - when I asked the tiler if that was normal he said that was what he was told to do by the plumber?? Once tiles were done I saw that the tiles had a darks shadow underneath where the blobs of adhesive were showing through - when I asked the plumber he said that this will dry and the shadow will disappear. There was no work done on Tuesday to let the tiles dry. It is now Friday, the bathroom is done but the tiles are still the same, and plumber is asking for payment in full for the whole job. I have cleaned and dried all of the tiles so it's not condensation.

Is this normal and will the adhesive dry as they say? If so how long will it take? Could this be wrong adhesive or cheap tiles used and if so, is there any way of fixing this without basically starting again? Help!!

Attachments

• IMG_5318.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5319.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5320.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5321.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
:)
Looks like the tiler !! Has dot and dabbed the tiles. Has he used ready mixed tubbed adhesive?
Thank you! As far as I remember he used a bag of "Evo-Stik Platinum Rapid-Set Flexible Adhesive" if that helps - so not ready-mixed or tubbed...

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score

Thank you! As far as I remember he used a bag of "Evo-Stik Platinum Rapid-Set Flexible Adhesive" if that helps - so not ready-mixed or tubbed...
Ok. He has still used an incorrect fixing method.
Wait a few days and see if the moisture disperses and if so you might be ok but that’s not saying they might fail and as I’ve said it’s certainly not the bedding method that should be used. If the dabs remain after a few days then its deffo a retile.

L

Laura89

We have this issue with our newly laid porcelain tiles, curious to know if the spots dispersed and how long it took?

A

Anniegirl

Same issue here. Large grayish spots appeared under the newly installed porcelain floor a day or two after. It was installed over a heated floor system. it’s been a few weeks and they just keep growing bigger. Trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this. What is it and does it go away?

Reaction score
Ohh dear!

The tiles have been spot fixed, this is totally the wrong method, especially for large porcelain tiles like this!
As Dave says, if they don't disappear in a few days (I don't think they will if it's not tub adhesive), it needs stripping out and redoing, the guy who did it should do it, and pay for the tiles IMO but it may be better to just not pay him and get someone else in, I certainly wouldn't want him in my house again!
Same issue here. Large grayish spots appeared under the newly installed porcelain floor a day or two after. It was installed over a heated floor system. it’s been a few weeks and they just keep growing bigger. Trying to find out if anyone else has experienced this. What is it and does it go away?
OHHHH Dear!
This is even worse!
The tiles will break ( because they are not supported properly) and this will cause a massive problem trying to get them up without damaging the UFH

Reply to Adhesive still showing through tiles 4 days after installation? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks