Discuss Why should you decouple certain floors. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

So Butech have launched their antifracture mat.
They have also very kindly supplied videos of their product. :)

Now whilst there maybe slight issues with the actual videos, they do show quite clearly how a mat can help.

I have asked questions about one of the videos, but they have been side stepped let’s say.

Hopefullly tho, this will be something that may help you convince customers in certain circumstances that they would be of an advantage.

L

LM

Without being too technical that is one of the best ways of justifying uncoupling to a customer! A picture paints a thousand words as they say.
I know there a few points some of us could raise with the videos but they will however get the point across to most if not all of our customers.
Good post!!

O

Old Mod

Yeah I thought on the whole it was useful Lee.

I might add that the second video was the first posted, and when I raised certain issues with it, some 6 hrs or so later, the first one was posted. :)
Mine are in reverse order in which they were posted, just to muddy the water a little more haha

T

Tile Shop

Aarrgggghhhh! I'm so sorry, I've tried really hard to be satisfied with the top video but I'm not there yet. My issue is with the product, not how anti-fracture mats as a whole can be an advantage. Realise I'm probably gonna get some flack for this (certainly would in "the other debating area" hence why I kept my gob shut). If this is the wrong place to air this, please feel free to delete.

As you've posted them, the second video there is a very definite issue.... the top video, I have watched over and over around 30 times trying very hard not to pick fault (dog with a bone? ;)), but [to me] it appears that the adhesive is still partially debonding from the mat on the right hand side of the crack.

Please don't get me wrong, this could still be a good video to show customers how decoupling can help stop a tile from cracking, they maybe won't know any different. But this Butech video is not the greatest example and doesn't show the bigger picture. While I concede the conditions in the test are way beyond any extreme you would expect to find in a real installation, problems could still arise between adjacent tiles.... I would only be truly satisfied with this particular matting if the test could be conducted with more tiles over a bigger area and no alternative problems became apparent.

But my opinion is that this design has far greater limitations over other brands of 2 or 3 ply anti-fracture mats.

O

Old Mod

Yeah totally agree Paul, and as you know my direct questions were blatantly ignored,
What made me smile is that he ‘liked’ a later post too! Go figure.
Can’t be bothered to push anymore than I have.
It’s to their detriment tho, cos I certainly won’t buy it, and I’m sure I’m not the only one judging by later comments.
But the video is effective for those who don’t really know what they’re looking at and it shows in principle how a mat works, which in itself is useful I believe.
That’s why I posted it with reservations, and a disclaimer. :p

Reply to Why should you decouple certain floors. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks