Discuss Compex Kitchen Tiling Repair Job. Uneven Floor. How would you tackle this? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture.
  • From floorboard to kitchen leg (white leg bit) towards the back, it is 28mm in height.
  • From floorboard to kitchen leg (white leg bit) towards the oven on the left hand side, it is 21mm.
  • From floorboard hallway door, it is 17mm in height.
That means, from one end to the other, there is a different of 11mm in height. There is a kitchen on the floor on top of previous tiles as you can see in the pictures that cannot be removed. Existing tiles and adhesive have been taken up around Kitchen leaving Ply with failed latex. Both of these will have to be removed. Height considerations above include the latex and plywood heights.

6 years ago, the previous tilers of the previous home owners tiled on this floor by using only 1mm tile adhesive by the hallway, 5mm adhesive by the left hand side leg, and 12mm of adhesive towards the rear end leg to make the floor level.
Unfortunately, they used dot and dab, and didn't properly secure the plywood to the floorboards therefore the tiles were moving/cracked/grout crumbling off etc so it now has to be redone.
Assume you have to use 10mm 600x600 porcelain tiles and 6mm backer board how would you tackle this floor if you has to start from the floorboards whilst maintaining the kitchen under the following two scenarios:

1. Using UFH.

By my calculation, the floor height would be as follows:
  • Tile adhesive (3mm)
  • Insulation board (6mm)
  • Tile Adhesive (3mm)
  • Decoupling membrane with 200w UFH cable (5.5mm)
  • SLC (3mm)
  • Tile Adhesive (3mm)
  • Tile (10mm)
Total height therefore is 33.5mm

I am thinking if I got a tiler to go ahead with this option, with the gaps available at the 3 points, this will create a height difference of 16.5mm with the hallway floor, eat into 5.5mm of the left hand size leg and eat into 12.5mm at the rear end leg.
To overcome this I am guessing what this would mean is that at the two legs, the tiles would have to be cut around them, and the kick boards would have to be cut to fit the reduced height. At the hallway end, the floor height difference between the hallway and the kitchen would be 16.5mm and therefore a door transition will need to be used and the part of the door will need cutting too. The floor too would still be un level.

2. No UFH heating

By my calculation, the floor height would be the following:
  • Tile adhesive (3mm)
  • Hardiebacker (6mm)
  • Tile Adhesive (3mm)
  • Tile (10mm)
Total height therefore is 19mm

I am thinking if I got a tiler to go ahead with this option, this will add a mere 2mm to the hallway side, leave a gap of 2mm at the left hand size leg size and leave a gap of 9mm at the rear end leg. I'm assuming those gaps can be filled with a little more tile adhesive when tiling? The floor would then be level.

Are my assumptions and scenarios correct? I would love to get UFH on my floor as this Kitchen room is arctic but I am thinking that the easiest and best option is to retile the floor without it and go with option 2? Or is option 1 possible?
I've been quoted around £2500 for option 1 including materials and labour. I have been quoted around £1200 for option 2.
I will need to pay a little extra for option 1 in top too for a carpenter to get the kickboards and door cut to size.

Can expert tilers here tell me what they would do to tackle this? What is feasible in this scenario? Would you recommend option 1 or 2 or neither?
If I went with option 1, will the un-level floor look obvious considering it is only 11m between the ends?

Really looking forward to your advice

Attachments

• 20210123_220858 - Copy.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210123_220858 - Copy.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 40
Reaction score
I am thinking if I got a tiler to go ahead with this option, with the gaps available at the 3 points, this will create a height difference of 16.5mm with the hallway floor, eat into 5.5mm of the left hand size leg and eat into 12.5mm at the rear end leg.
The above should read

"eat into 12.5mm of the left hand size leg and eat into 5.5mm at the rear end leg."

Reaction score
The legs as you have called them are the end panels on the oven and I'm presuming dish washer units, all of the other units are on 4 plastic legs on top of tiles. I would cut the end panels of the two units back so that the plinth can be installed in one run under the units, this looks a lot neater and will avoid having to cut tiles around them.
The floor has to be flat and rigid to be tiled, a slight fall in the tiles wont matter over a large area. Once tiled the plinths can be trimmed accordingly.

S

Sid2323

11mm isn't bad.. I bought a new build in 2019 the floor (concrete) was 20mm diagonal drop from the back LH to the front RH of where the washing machine goes! since the washing machine will have 'adjustable feet' this was deemed OK.

Reply to Compex Kitchen Tiling Repair Job. Uneven Floor. How would you tackle this? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks