• UK Tiling Forum that lauched to the World. USA and UK Tile Fixers

Welcome to the UK Tiling Forum for UK Tiling Advice, and US Tile Fixers Advice, whether wall tiling or floor tiling advice, by Tilers Forums. The collective tiling advice forum. TilersForums.co.uk now redirects to TilersForums.com.

Discuss Floor build-up advice with Hardiebacker in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

DIY-a

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup.
We're installing a shower tray onto ply (with grab addy), it's 1700x800mm so should perform as a wetroom, closed on all sides apart from a bit at the end of one side to get in and out. So my question is about the rest of the floor, how waterproof does it need to be essentially? We will also have a bath next to the shower so I could just waterproof that end of the room if that would be sufficient. I'm wondering whether a latex-based SLC would actually do the trick (and save some ££) if we did the whole floor.

So far we have installed:
New 6x2 joists with a ton of noggins
18mm WBP ply (didn't prime it)
6mm Hardiebacker board on tile addy (I'm wishing we'd gone with something else that could be taped to form a waterproof layer, but too late now. The sales pitch is it's good for moisture but having seen how damp it get's with a few drops it's very absorbent and I don't fancy that sitting next to the ply floor in a puddle)

I'm thinking of going for BodenWarm floor heating (Underfloor Heating Mat 200w / m² + Touch Screen Thermostat - https://totaltiles.co.uk/underfloor-heating-mat-200w-and-touch-screen-thermostat.html) as it seems pretty reasonable, then SLC over the top to protect it/waterproof or resistant layer(?), then tile on that. If I were to waterproof the floor as well around the shower, I was thinking Mapei Mapegum (already got the kit from Screwfix for the shower enclosure walls)(also Hardiebacker, again too late now).

My main concern is water splashing and wet feet at the entrance to the shower/bath.

So to finish the floor & having read a few posts here, I'm thinking:
UFH mat
SLC - latex
Flex tile addy
Slate tiles & finish

Does anyone have any comments on this floor build up? Do I need to waterproof as well?

Many thanks for your help & expertise

Last edited:

Reply to Floor build-up advice with Hardiebacker in the UK Tiling Forum | Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer