Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss what adhesive for slate tiles on concrete floor? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

marnie

Hi - can anyone advise on best adhesive for machined slate tiles (600x600) on concrete floor and do I need to pva the floor before the adhesive goes on?
Thank you

D

diamondtiling

Hi dont use pva on your floor as you will do more harm than good. Use an acrylic bond, apply it as directed on the bottle. Use a one part flexible adhesive to fix your tiles and aim for 100% coverage. You may need to back spread the slate to achieve the correct bed..
You need to work as clean as possible, have a bucket and sponge ready to clean off any adhesive from the tile face, your slate needs sealing prior to grouting so you must make sure they are free of dust.

Any more questions just ask.

:thumbsup:

M

marnie

Thank you for the clear advice - will do. Is acrylic bond generally available ie Travis Perkins/b & q ?

D

diamondtiling

Any good tile supplier will stock acrylic bond or sbr as its also known and at a better price then the big sheds.

B

buckoroonie

Hi guys
I was always told to grout tiles before sealing. If you seal 1st the grout might not fix and end up coming lose
But I'm a novice...but have always done it this way

B

buckoroonie

Good point...but would it not be easier to lay tile, grout and then seal....you don't have to worry about the edges then?
Thats what I did after being advised by very old builder friend. I would have almost certainly done it wrong had I not taken his advise and after 3 years it appears to have done the job

Reply to what adhesive for slate tiles on concrete floor? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks