Search the forum,

Discuss what adhesive for slate tiles on concrete floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marnie

Hi - can anyone advise on best adhesive for machined slate tiles (600x600) on concrete floor and do I need to pva the floor before the adhesive goes on?
Thank you

D

diamondtiling

Hi dont use pva on your floor as you will do more harm than good. Use an acrylic bond, apply it as directed on the bottle. Use a one part flexible adhesive to fix your tiles and aim for 100% coverage. You may need to back spread the slate to achieve the correct bed..
You need to work as clean as possible, have a bucket and sponge ready to clean off any adhesive from the tile face, your slate needs sealing prior to grouting so you must make sure they are free of dust.

Any more questions just ask.

:thumbsup:

M

marnie

Thank you for the clear advice - will do. Is acrylic bond generally available ie Travis Perkins/b & q ?

D

diamondtiling

Any good tile supplier will stock acrylic bond or sbr as its also known and at a better price then the big sheds.

B

buckoroonie

Hi guys
I was always told to grout tiles before sealing. If you seal 1st the grout might not fix and end up coming lose
But I'm a novice...but have always done it this way

B

buckoroonie

Good point...but would it not be easier to lay tile, grout and then seal....you don't have to worry about the edges then?
Thats what I did after being advised by very old builder friend. I would have almost certainly done it wrong had I not taken his advise and after 3 years it appears to have done the job

Reply to what adhesive for slate tiles on concrete floor? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen