Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Two issues with Mapei Ultracolour Plus grey grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,

I have recently grouted a bathroom with mapei ultracolour plus manhatten grey grout and have a couple of issues in places. It's the first time I've grouted.

Firstly, after roughly a week of use a few grout lines very near the shower appear to have lost small pieces of grout from the surface:
20190703_201742.jpg 20190703_201923.jpg 20190703_201848.jpg

Secondly, as soon as I had grouted I noticed some areas where the grout was very dark and have realised from searching online that this was probably due to excess water. I decided to just put up with it but I have now noticed that on the dark areas there are what look like drip marks where the colour has lightened:
20190703_202121.jpg

I am most worried about the first problem meaning that water will get in and behind the tiles, but any advice regarding either problem would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Looks like it was too wet or had been remixed with more water once it started to set in the bucket.

Just my opinion.

Thanks.
I didn't add more water to it, but I did mix a second lot without completely cleaning the bucket so grout from the first lot could have got mixed back into the second lot.

Reaction score
A bit of fine sand paper folded over to create a ‘sharp’ edge over the affected areas , just to remove the surface layer can often reveal a more consistent colour. Good luck

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. I tried the sandpaper over the darker areas and it improved the appearance.

Since I last posted I'm now finding very dark patches appearing in areas that were a pretty consistent colour before. 20190713_085746.jpg

They remain hours after the shower has been used. I'm concerned I've made a terrible job of this and am going to have to rake out and re-do. Can anyone advise on this? Is it just caused by the same problem as before where too much water was used when mixing/cleaning? Or something else

Thanks you in advance.

H

hmtiling

Or better still (in my opinion) Universeal Grout rescue).

I've tried both and the Grout rescue is a far superior and more user friendly product. However, I would advise purchasing the pre cleaner too.
the pre cleaner won't be needed on brand new grout

H

hmtiling

That's what I thought a couple of weeks ago.

I spoke to one of their tech guys who told me to always use the cleaner even on new grout. Think of it as a primer he said.
I for one will always use it in future.
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. I've used fuga fresca and grout rescue on new grout and it takes very well. On old grout the pre cleaning is essential

Reply to Two issues with Mapei Ultracolour Plus grey grout in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock