Discuss Tiling Over Floorboards - Bathroom in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

J Sid

Agree Tiler 1... "Good work ain't cheap, cheap work ain't Good"
You get what you pay for, experience alone is what is included in his price!
Dural matting all the way for me, with Tilemasters ultimate and Kerakoll liquid grout!!!
Agree bar the last two lines. ;)

D

Dominic Patterson

Not an exact science then......as it seems personal preference comes in to it also. Thanks for all your help. I see that nobody thought tiling straight to boards was a good idea and so I could discount that tiler straight away.

I understand the argument on "you get what you pay for" but, as a customer, I have to disagree that it is a rule. More a guide, as it often doesn't work out that way. I recently had a plumber (allegedly a proper firm etc.) do some terrible work for quite a lot of money. More than the better plumber who rectified it would have charged. I also had a shower room fitted by a big firm in Manchester, paid a lot of money and got an awful job (blocked soil pipe etc backing up to 2nd floor bathroom just one of the problems). I could have paid a lot less on both occasions but went for the more expensive options, as they appeared to be experienced, reputable etc. I have a few examples of this principle but don't want to bore everyone (ok, too late for that).

The proof, I'm afraid, is in the pudding, not the quotation. I just have to use my best judgement as to who will do the best job (and seek advice from tiler's forum). Obviously price comes in to it also but I certainly don't want a shoddy job after shelling out £850 on tiles.

In this instance, Tiler 1 is quite young and Tiler 2 is very experienced, well known to the several tile warehouses locally and was a recommendation from someone who had a lot of expensive tiles fitted in a big extension. He also isn't the cheapest, that is Tiler 3 and I have now discounted that guy. I think the difference in price is just their way of pricing. I may be wrong but wouldn't know until they did the job. I would say that tiler 1 was on about plastering the (new plasterboard) walls before tiling, which I didn't understand, as it reduces the weight the boards can hold but I don't know, maybe there was a good reason.

Thanks to all again for your advice. Much appreciated.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Your right Dominic,If the wall tiles are going ceiling height ,Skimming the walls is a total waste of money,time and restricts weight limits.;)

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Not an exact science then......as it seems personal preference comes in to it also. Thanks for all your help. I see that nobody thought tiling straight to boards was a good idea and so I could discount that tiler straight away.

I understand the argument on "you get what you pay for" but, as a customer, I have to disagree that it is a rule. More a guide, as it often doesn't work out that way. I recently had a plumber (allegedly a proper firm etc.) do some terrible work for quite a lot of money. More than the better plumber who rectified it would have charged. I also had a shower room fitted by a big firm in Manchester, paid a lot of money and got an awful job (blocked soil pipe etc backing up to 2nd floor bathroom just one of the problems). I could have paid a lot less on both occasions but went for the more expensive options, as they appeared to be experienced, reputable etc. I have a few examples of this principle but don't want to bore everyone (ok, too late for that).

The proof, I'm afraid, is in the pudding, not the quotation. I just have to use my best judgement as to who will do the best job (and seek advice from tiler's forum). Obviously price comes in to it also but I certainly don't want a shoddy job after shelling out £850 on tiles.

In this instance, Tiler 1 is quite young and Tiler 2 is very experienced, well known to the several tile warehouses locally and was a recommendation from someone who had a lot of expensive tiles fitted in a big extension. He also isn't the cheapest, that is Tiler 3 and I have now discounted that guy. I think the difference in price is just their way of pricing. I may be wrong but wouldn't know until they did the job. I would say that tiler 1 was on about plastering the (new plasterboard) walls before tiling, which I didn't understand, as it reduces the weight the boards can hold but I don't know, maybe there was a good reason.

Thanks to all again for your advice. Much appreciated.
Totally agree, best way is to have sound reputable recommendations, or even better see the work he has already done etc...
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Tiler one seems odd, with wanting to skim the plaster board and looking to posibly eliminate lateral movement rather than vertical so much. Tiler two has the method that makes sense to me. I don't think tiler three is completely wrong but, the method doesn't seem as safe as overboarding.

Reply to Tiling Over Floorboards - Bathroom in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks