Discuss Tiling Over Floorboards - Bathroom in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dominic Patterson

First of all, hello, I'm a newbie (have some rental properties which I work on) and am redoing our bathroom at home and creating an en-suite.

After tiling the en suite myself I decided to employ a tiler to do the main bathroom (also my wife insists, quite rightly).

I've had 3 tilers look at the job and have been told 3 different methods of how they will be doing the floor. My question is which one is correct?

Job is 1st floor bathroom, usual T&G floorboards on joists. Floor approximately 3m2. Floor is ok, fairly sound but probably not level and some high spots (which I could plane?). Tiles are 600x300 porcelain. Walls are ok and he will be doing 23m2 on there. So 26m2 in all with one window and tiling bath panel.

Tiler 1 says he would use a durabase matting in usual way. (most expensive £*** ish)
Tiler 2 says he will glue (with RSF) and screw 6mm hardiebacker, then tile (middle price £*** ish)
Tiler 3 says he will use a 2 part flexi adi and apply direct to floorboards (cheapest £*** ish)

Tiler 1 is too expensive anyway but that isn't because of his chosen way of doing the floor. Tiler 2 was recommended and tiler 3 I got from picking a card up at Topps.

So which is best? Only a bathroom fitter suggested ply and I didn't want the big step in from the landing.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tiler 2. Just get existing boards flat and deflection free first

Reaction score
tiler 1.......£***.......that equates to roughly £xx per m2 inc materials........

im in the wrong game, i reckon i should get the tools back out!

TBH, there is nothing wrong with tiler 1&2s methods, providing the floors isnt like a tramoline.

D

Dominic Patterson

Tiler 2. Just get existing boards flat and deflection free first
Thanks for your reply.
tiler 1.......£***.......that equates to roughly £xx per m2 inc materials........

TBH, there is nothing wrong with tiler 1&2s methods, providing the floors isnt like a tramoline.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I don't believe you always get what you pay for. Perhaps I would with tiler 3 though, whose method alarmed me a bit hence this post. Floor is pretty solid.

T

Tile Shop

Tiler 2. He's the only one that has given any indication that he intends to brace the floor.

A highly flexible 2 part adhesive, on a flexible floor, with a solid tile? wouldn't risk it without overlaying. Bals old 2-part Fastflex still used to recommend bracing the floor first with 15mm ply. But not sure about the others that are currently available.

The first tiler is eliminating lateral movement, but not deflection.

Tiler 2 all the way :)

D

Dominic Patterson

Tiler 2. He's the only one that has given any indication that he intends to brace the floor.

A highly flexible 2 part adhesive, on a flexible floor, with a solid tile? wouldn't risk it without overlaying. Bals old 2-part Fastflex still used to recommend bracing the floor first with 15mm ply. But not sure about the others that are currently available.

The first tiler is eliminating lateral movement, but not deflection.

Tiler 2 all the way :)

Thanks for your reply. Having researched similar threads on this (very useful) site and based on the answers above, I'm now convinced that's the way forward. He was recommended also, so that's usually a plus. Thanks again.

J

J Sid

Now thats an opinion......
You don't know what he is pricing to do....
Possible, level and reinforce the floor before uncoupling, tanking over bath - shower? Mitres' round window, make bath panel, boxing in pipes, silicon internals.....

Is price 3 a tiler? Is he a jack of all? Or is he signing on and this is a bit of beer money.

Passing comment on the floor fixing method is what is required and the price quoted for all the work is neither here nor there.

Rant over :)

J

J Sid

I agree with you opinion of tiler 1 and 2's fixing methods, as you expect, but saying that tiler 1 is to expensive is wrong, opinion or not.
We don't know what he has priced to do or the finish job he will produce. Assuming all three have quote the same is wrong. If it turned out to be JonnyC, Gary the Tiler or 3-fall would you still be say to expensive?

D

Dominic Patterson

And this is why we don't discuss prices in the open forums, there's never the full story!

Guilty! Sorry.
Now thats an opinion......
You don't know what he is pricing to do....
Possible, level and reinforce the floor before uncoupling, tanking over bath - shower? Mitres' round window, make bath panel, boxing in pipes, silicon internals.....

Is price 3 a tiler? Is he a jack of all? Or is he signing on and this is a bit of beer money.

Passing comment on the floor fixing method is what is required and the price quoted for all the work is neither here nor there.

Rant over :)

Thanks for your replies. Price was just extra (unnecessary in hindsight) info. Price 3 is professing to be a wall and floor tiler, according to the business card from Topps. No tanking required I've done it already, new straight plasterboard walls and window reveals all round, already tanked, bath panel frame done by me and delta board panels ready to be fixed on, once floor done. Bath pre-sealed with silicon. 4 lengths of metal trim to do on plumbing wall, window etc. Needs to do minimal work to floorboards where plumber took them up and left them loose, the rest are rock solid. I didn't prep the floor, as I thought it best left to a tiler who knows what's required to do a proper job. Quite a bit of work but nothing difficult or controversial and no wall prep required except priming the untanked bits. That's why I thought £that amount was a bit rich but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unused Account 1

If you want something to last ten years ,worth the extra ,to many looking at trying to get state of the art work for cheapish ,you cant ,peace of mind is better ,good luck

Reply to Tiling Over Floorboards - Bathroom in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks