Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Apprenticeships - Who's Currently Got An Apprentice? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

Lindsay

I'm looking at apprenticeships but not sure of the bonus points for the company are. I'd like to find out so I can try persuade them to take me on as I'm over 25 I think the grants don't apply.

M

MPM

Hi all,
I did my NVQ level 2 at collage they did not offer level 3 at that time. In my year out of 15 students only 2 in my opinion had the potential for a tiling career, what does that say about the future?

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I keep thinking about taking a kid on (got a kid begging at the mo. nice lad, works hard and can be trusted apparently as he works for a mate day to day labouring) but if I'm honest I'm wondering how it would benefit me. Can't seem to find any info on grants etc so is it just the extra pair of hands I'll get out of it? And what should you be paying an apprentice?
It concerns me that I could be training someone up, funding their mistakes and learning, giving them your time/secrets and tips and after all that a couple of years down the line they leave and become your competition!

S

Simon benn Leeds

I keep thinking about taking a kid on (got a kid begging at the mo. nice lad, works hard and can be trusted apparently as he works for a mate day to day labouring) but if I'm honest I'm wondering how it would benefit me. Can't seem to find any info on grants etc so is it just the extra pair of hands I'll get out of it? And what should you be paying an apprentice?
It concerns me that I could be training someone up, funding their mistakes and learning, giving them your time/secrets and tips and after all that a couple of years down the line they leave and become your competition!
It's happened to me a few times, train them up put your time effort and money into them all of a sudden there tilers!..
Won't do it again no loyalty from these youngens now, I'll just take lads on as labourers now and only teach them cutting and grouting. What's the point.
Think it's the same in most trades tbh, train them up look after them and see you later!!..

S

SCCB

Hi there my name is Carl Goulden, I'm a lecturer at South and City College Birmingham, at the moment we have 15 apprentices this year and the number is growing. Some of the threads are true in that to get a good hard working apprentice that wants to learn the trade is hard but they are out there ( I know because we have lots here).
I would urge you to ring our team to discus or they will in some cases come out to you, and I think its a lot more for the funding for an apprentice if he/she is 16-24 years old.
ring
0121 694 5066

or copy and paste this
Apprenticeships Matching Team | South & City College Birmingham

S

SCCB

I stand corrected, I have just spoken to Tracy Kerr who is out go to guru for apprenticeships.
the total funding for the full frame work is up to £12,000 for 1 apprentice.

Here is some of the criteria.

Apprentice needs to be 16-24
You need to employ less than 50 employees
they need to complete all the frame work..
£12.000 wow........

If your thinking of apprentices then call Tracy on 07787004710 we have had apprentices from as far as Bristol.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow.......Some of you lot haven't got teenage kids then.
And don't really think you should be taring them all with the same brush.
From my understanding an apprentice gets £2.50 an hour and under 18 get minimum wage of £3:60 an hour hardly a fortune.....my daughter at college full time learning hairdressing. ...her spare time and weekends are spent working in shops for for that poltry £3:60 an hour ...slave labour Imo. ...should at least be the propper min wage of nearly £7 .......No wonder the kids get disheartened. .

B

bcd-87

Hi All

It's tough going with a apprentice/labourer/scumer...
what ever we call them...

Iv had a guy 3 days a week for about a year and it's not worked out as well as I'd hoped.. He done college passed and I quote " I would never have passed if I hadent worked for you " I took that as a thank you as that's all he said !! He's lost a lot of his enthusiasm and drive recently as he's been experiencing the really world, going out meeting the general public and pricing jobs and not getting them... He's 31 and got kids I thought I would be liveing all the crap behind with the 17,18,18 yrs old but it's just different kind of BS. Sorry to be a Debbie downer on a Friday

Peace and love

B

bcd-87

£1500 grant. iirc

i cant even get my mate who works for me now and again buzzed about tiling. thinks its boring and hes a decorator !!!

Lol... Beacause painting is so exciting.. My dads a painter he's the boreingest Man I know

B

bcd-87

Sort of the situation I find myself in or potentionaly could find myself in..

Reply to Tiling Apprenticeships - Who's Currently Got An Apprentice? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen