Discuss Shower room floor prep in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

serval

TF
Reaction score
Currently removed the wall and floor tiles and shower tray from the shower room im renovating.
The floor boards look okay but have quite a few holes...
DSC_3625.JPG

Plus one more out of view.

Someone on another thread mentioned overboarding with a tile backer but im wondering if I should replace the lot.
If so what's the best practice and thicknesses to use?
Ply, prime then tile straight on top
Or ply followed by backer board then tile?

Reaction score
I would say it depends on the floor, if its very sturdy, no deflection then I would be tempted to patch the holes and overboard with hardiebacker .. If there is movement, squeaks etc then take it up.

18mm ply min - SBR on all surfaces, even the edges
Glued (Polyurethane glue) and screwed down
Overboarded with hardie then tiled.

serval

TF
Reaction score
I would say it depends on the floor, if its very sturdy, no deflection then I would be tempted to patch the holes and overboard with hardiebacker .. If there is movement, squeaks etc then take it up.

18mm ply min - SBR on all surfaces, even the edges
Glued (Polyurethane glue) and screwed down
Overboarded with hardie then tiled.
Thanks for the info.

when it comes to over boarding with hardiebacker, is it just screwed down to the sub floor? whats the best thickness to use and do i need to do anything at the joints?

Thanks again

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed reply. Set the hardie in a bed of adhesive, I use a 6mm trowel, then screw it into the ply only not the joists. I generally use 20mm screws. dont forget to tape the joins up

Reply to Shower room floor prep in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks