Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Schluter Wetroom Choices in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi folks. DIY job here. Trying to decide on the makeup of materials for my wetroom before buying any stuff. Tiles are bought but nothing else.

Would appreciate any comments on my choices below particularly in relation to waterproofing.

I started out looking at the Schluter linear drains which led me to their membrane and other products.

I've just spent most of the morning looking at videos of test failures of Kerdi membrane when used with unmodified mortars so really want to get this right. Have also read all the Kerdi spec and installation documentation which has led me to the following:

Fitting a Kerdi-Line-H 50 G2 linear drain

Floor:

9mm thick extruded porcelain
on thin bed mortar
on Kerdi Ditra25 matting
on unmodified thin set mortar
on concrete floor

Walls:

9mm thick ceramic tile
on thin bed mortar
on Kerdi membrane
on unmodified thin set mortar
on gypsum plasterboard (to be confirmed, I believe not a great choice as backing)

Joints in Ditra25 to be sealed with Kerdi-Keba and Kerdi-Coll https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/
Junction of Ditra25 floor with wall membrane to be sealed similarly.

Overlaps in Kerdi membrane to be sealed with Kerdi-Coll.

Kerdi-line linear drain membrane to be sealed to floor and wall with Kerdi-Coll.

Thanks

Wet Room Sketch 3.jpg

D

Dumbo

I'm no expert on this but I think you been looking at American sites , I always used Schluter products with flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ but not as flexible as s2 , that's when the trouble starts. But to check I suggest you look st Schluter uk site for installation procedures .

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm in Ireland but sourcing materials online from UK or Germany as no local stockist.

Have read all the installation manuals from UK. That's where my makeup list comes from.

I can get the Kerdi-Coll but not the Schluter thinset mortar yet. As I see it all the seams will be sealed with Kerdi-Coll as advised by Schluter.

The test failures are on youtube from a US tiler but they don't have access to Kerdi-Coll yet. So I think I should be fine. But just checking with you guys who have real world experience.

Last edited:
H

hmtiling

I'm in Ireland but sourcing materials online from UK or Germany as no local stockist.

Have read all the installation manuals from UK. That's where my makeup list comes from.

I can get the Kerdi-Coll but not the Schluter thinset mortar yet. As I see it all the seams will be sealed with Kerdi-Coll as advised by Schluter.

The test failures are on youtube from a US tiler but they don't have access to Kerdi-Coll yet. So I think I should be fine. But just checking with you guys who have real world experience.
The American spec is different from here. They don't have to seam kerdi with kerdi coll

O

One Day

For a domestic installation, especially DIY I'd suggest that kerdi-coll is unnecessary. You can tape your joints using https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
This of course flies in the face of schluters guidance but the US do it and it will make your life a lot lot lot easier.
Kerdi-coll is used in Europe because European testing is to absolute destruction, so if you're shower isn't used commercially, you don't really need it.
(in my experience)

OP
B
Reaction score
OK I think I see now why you have been pointing me towards UK website.

From other threads on here the modified/unmodified differentiation is a US thing.

UK Schuter advice is to use https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ that suits the substrate and that means flexible S1 can be used.

Reply to Schluter Wetroom Choices in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock