Discuss Quartz Tiles on Marine Ply in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

David Dudley

Hi.

Have just bought some Gulf Stone black quartz tiles for my bathroom floor.

It is 18mm Marine Ply directly onto joists screwed at 150mm and deflection free.
I was planning on using Dural C+ membrane.

Couple of questions please- I plan to lay these at the end of the week and need to get my adhesive, etc.

What kind of primer do I need for the ply?
Is a single parf flex adhesive suitable or do I need a latex based adhesive?

I'll clean each tile as I go.

I plan on sealing after I have laid them but before I grout.

My misses wants white grout, and as I suggested it will get dirty quickly I thought if I used Mapei Epoxy grout then it should stay clean.
Is there anything I need to be aware of using epoxy grout with these tiles?

Thanks.
David.

D

DHTiling

Hi David.

No need to prime the surface of the ply, it would have been ideal for humidity to prime reverse side and edges.

With these agglomerate tiles I would use Mapei elastorapid , Dural CI+ would be wise straight onto timber that is likely to thermal expansion.

No need to seal those tiles , gulf stone quartz are a resin based tile and factory finished.

D

David Dudley

Thanks Dave.

I'll get the Dural ordered from PHG today.

What size trowel would I use for the tiles? I was thinking 10mm sq notch and back butter. I had a look at the tech sheet but it doesn't really specify although it does say that you can use up to a 10mm bed.

Also what size trowel would I use for laying the Dural? Would I use the same trowel and same adhesive or could I get away with a smaller trowel?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the simple questions - I'm trying to get eveything correct so that I don't have to come back here crying for help if it goes wrong :smilewinkgrin:

PS Any reason not to use Kerapoxy with these tiles?

Thanks again.

D

DHTiling

Ye, as above you will be ok with a 10 mm trowel and back skim the tiles as well... yep, 4mm trowel and same adhesive on the matting , leave to dry then you can tile,if you don't leave the matting to dry and you tile and have any tiles to lift/adjust you will pull the matting with it..

As for kerapoxy.... if you have not used it before then might be wise to stick with ultra colour..

Reply to Quartz Tiles on Marine Ply in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi All! Total DIY’er here- we’re in a project house which has drained us, and one of the final...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay