Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Plywood for tiling on floors? or Tile backer board? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello everyone

I have a question reguarding ply for floors. It states that it has to be WPB but my question is where do you buy this ply from.

Jewsons ply does not state it is WPB and the ply in wickes says nothing too just that it's sutible externaly if coated with a protector. Please can you tell me where I can buy this stuff from :)

Many Thanks

OP
D

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Hi

Its for over boarding, I would prefer to use ply for this job I was just wondering where sells the ply needed?

Many Thanks

D

Dumbo

Hi

Its for over boarding, I would prefer to use ply for this job I was just wondering where sells the ply needed?

Many Thanks
You are far better off using a tile backer board , it's easier to cut ,easier to handle , needs less screws , tiles stick to it better and it's quicker. Do you realise the bs for ply is glued and screwed at 150 centres thats about 180 screws per sheet and also the minimum thickness for overboarding is 15mm , no one stocks it so you will be using 18mm .

OP
D

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Thank you for all your replys, I think.i have found the information I was looking for.

Even tho the ply in the shops don't have on them WBP as long as there are external grade that means they are WBP from what I see online.

I will use some 12mm ply from wicks to over board, I don't mind the gluing and screwing every 5". It's being paid over the top of 18mm structural ply.

O

One Day

Ply is no longer recommended for tile onto. Wbp/marine ply is very dodgy now.
There is a specific flooring grade ply available but it's very expensive.
I wouldn't use ply nowadays.
The veneers are very thin and often contaminated with wax and oil to prevent sheets sticking in transit from hot sticky countries.
Very risky to use ply these days.

O

One Day

What's the floor area? What is it's current construction and what are you fixing onto it?

F

Flintstone

The principles are, you fix the floor and remove any movement, then you over board to create a good tileable surface.

OP
D

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
I though that overlaying the floor with ply glueing the bottom down and screwing every five inches would tie the floor in adding more strength? That's how I have always seen it, okay so I won't ply it then. What do I lay over the top and how do I fix it down please to prep for tile?

Many Thanks

OP
D

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Can I ask, most jobs I do the floor is either 18 or 22mm chipboard. Do you just lay backer board over the top of this floor and tile?

Many Thanks

Daniel

Reply to Plywood for tiling on floors? or Tile backer board? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock