Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Plywood for tiling on floors? or Tile backer board? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Dumbo

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Yes make sure the existing floor is screwed down first and has no movement and then fix as per manufacturers instructions .

F

Flintstone

Put a glass of water on the floor filled to the brim and walk around it and see if there's much movement. 6mm Hardie backer is a good option how many M2 is there ?

D

Dumbo

Also if you're on about overboarding your ply floor you should make sure all the joints in the ply are supported with noggins.

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with ply ,make sure you use the right thickness and screwed every 4" square then seal with good quality sealer and use quality https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ you wont go far wrong

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The quality of Your work may not have dropped in that time but the quality of ply definitely has .
As i said if you use proper materials ,there is nothing wrong in using ply believe me when i say i have tiled many many floors on ply with no come back ,i don't have a problem with folks using alternative but to say it cannot and must not be used is totally wrong

OP
D

Dan1234

TF
Reaction score
Okay I think I have come up with a plan. So the floor at the moment is 15mm structural type toung and grove ply as it's a timber built house. So as the 15mm is too thin I am going to cover with 6mm ply screwed down ever 6" and then fit 6mm multi pro tile backer board over the top glued and screwed. Does this sound okay?

F

Flintstone

Okay I think I have come up with a plan. So the floor at the moment is 15mm structural type toung and grove ply as it's a timber built house. So as the 15mm is too thin I am going to cover with 6mm ply screwed down ever 6" and then fit 6mm multi pro tile backer board over the top glued and screwed. Does this sound okay?

It doesn't work quite like that. It's still 15mm with a thin layer of 6mm on top doing nothing.

Reply to Plywood for tiling on floors? or Tile backer board? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock