Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just a quick one. I am aware that if you as a newer tiler have any questions, it's not always easy to just explain them in a new post on here. And you can't always find somebody with the same problem with the solution already stated.

Now as we are the fastest growing tiling forums related forums, we want to stay the best in the game.

So if any of you have any problems, questions or just need guiding in the right direction, then tell me what your problems are in here and I'll do my very best to help you out.

Problems might be tiling skill related, product related, business related, maybe customer orientated? I don't know. But anything at all, ask in here and lets get this cleared up as soon as we can.

Thanks for your time so far registering and reading the forums. I hope this post helps many people out eventually!

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED FOR POSTING DUE TO ITS SIZE - PLEASE USE THE NEW THREAD FOUND HERE.

Last edited:
D

Dunnster

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wivers

Re: Any new tilers stuck at all, with anything?

I have had to tile a floor that was slanted. Same thing, the customer just wanted it done whatever the outcome. Just tile as normal if the floot is flat and the tiles will lay to the slant. Just be sure you get the customer to sign something saying they wanted to go ahead without rectifing the problem.
Also i would probably have gone a bit higher withe the price m8 but that aint too far off :). Around £30 per sqm for floors is what i look to get including the bits, but its your call m8 and if you think that price wins you the job then thats what matters to start with. Good luck mate.

G

GazTech

Re: Movement Joints?

Hi, I plan to tile my kitchen/dining room floor but there is two different surfaces. Mostly floorboards, but also a small section of conrete about 2 square metre. The surface needs plywood and self leveling to make level. Is there any way that I can avoid using a movement joint?
I would board T & G boards with 6mm hardibacker boards,and screed the concrete up to its edge.Use a two part flexible adhesive onto boards and across where the joint is,then standard adhesive for the concrete.Your grout should then all be wide joint with BAL GT1 polymer added to give flexibility,no need then for an expansion joint at all using this method,hope this helps Customizer
icon14.gif

D

DHTiling

I would board T & G boards with 6mm hardibacker boards,and screed the concrete up to its edge.Use a two part flexible adhesive onto boards and across where the joint is,then standard adhesive for the concrete.Your grout should then all be wide joint with BAL GT1 polymer added to give flexibility,no need then for an expansion joint at all using this method,hope this helps Customizer
icon14.gif

doin it that way gaz isn't allowing for the fact the two subtrates expand at different rates putting stress on the surface were they meet, surely in time tiles will debond mate!!

p.s. dont want to undermine your comments just thought id mention this.

G

GazTech

doin it that way gaz isn't allowing for the fact the two subtrates expand at different rates putting stress on the surface were they meet, surely in time tiles will debond mate!!

p.s. dont want to undermine your comments just thought id mention this.
No worries D. I think that within a small area such as this one, using two part flex will be fine and be flexible enough to cope with the limited expansions and contractions of both substates.You do have a good point however, it would only be a concern if the areas were much greater.
icon14.gif

G

GazLC81

Just read your comments about the floor I ask about, the slanted one. I decided to hike the price a little as I wasn't sure it was going to be straight forward. I up'd it to £325 but I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure I want to do the job tbh, not sure the customer will pay. I may be wrong but I just get a feeling.

Gaz

G

GazTech

Just read your comments about the floor I ask about, the slanted one. I decided to hike the price a little as I wasn't sure it was going to be straight forward. I up'd it to £325 but I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure I want to do the job tbh, not sure the customer will pay. I may be wrong but I just get a feeling.

Gaz
Any doubt,back out!............let someone else have sleepless nights, if you ever get that' not sure feeling' leave well alone even if you need work , trust me
icon14.gif

D

derekt

Hi Dan - I have recently become a self employed tiler. Just wondering if you had any tricks/tips on tiling a full bathroom. Have found it a bit difficult to keep my levels exact when tiling the fourth wall - when they meet with the tiles on fourth wall. What is the correct method. Have found botons a pain in the butt.
Also - any tips on tiling round a door which sits in the centre of a wall with quite a gap from top of door to the ceiling.

Regards
Derek

G

GazTech

Thanks to all with advice for porcelain. She cancelled the job, got her husband to do it! On to the next one!

MFC
Never mind,hopefully you will be called back to give a price to sort out the problem of it all coming up in a month or so:wink_smile: you will of course go round just for a laugh .... I always did!! :devil_smile:

G

GazLC81

Hi Dan - I have recently become a self employed tiler. Just wondering if you had any tricks/tips on tiling a full bathroom. Have found it a bit difficult to keep my levels exact when tiling the fourth wall - when they meet with the tiles on fourth wall. What is the correct method. Have found botons a pain in the butt.
Also - any tips on tiling round a door which sits in the centre of a wall with quite a gap from top of door to the ceiling.

Regards
Derek

Hi Derek, welcome to the forums by the way. Good question that, i'm new to tiling too and wondered if there were any tips on this. I am doing my first full bathroom in a couple off weeks and I just planned on marking out all the walls before I started tiling, not just marking one and then doing that and then marking the next and doing that.

I'm sure there will be a vastly experienced tiler along in a minute to make it all sound soooo simple!

Goodluck matey!
Gaz

D

derekt

Hi Derek, welcome to the forums by the way. Good question that, i'm new to tiling too and wondered if there were any tips on this. I am doing my first full bathroom in a couple off weeks and I just planned on marking out all the walls before I started tiling, not just marking one and then doing that and then marking the next and doing that.

I'm sure there will be a vastly experienced tiler along in a minute to make it all sound soooo simple!

Goodluck matey!
Gaz
Cheers Gaz - all the best to you mate. How long have you been tiling and how are you finding it?

G

GazTech

Regards
Derek
Sill use the batten method mate,but if your spirit level is lying to you,then use a laser level on a rotating tripod to know where to nail to :)

Reply to New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Article
This is the Morning Thread for Tilers Forums Discussion Thread We have a Morning Thread on each of our forums, and the Tilers Forums Morning Thread has been running the longest, we’ve actually...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can be found HERE but is quite long so not as easy to find specific posts. So tell us what you are up...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use for feedback. We have been established in Newport, South Wales (just across the bridge from Bristol)...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.