Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

Varley

Re: Any new tilers stuck at all, with anything?

Hi Dan
Just priced job for three small bathrooms. Two of them have chip board floor so i guess i will need to pva them before tiling. never done this so could you give me a few pointers?

Cheers.

I'm sure there are a few tilers on here will give you pointers on tiling directly onto chipboard, and i'm not saying in any way or fashion that it is wrong to do so, however i always overlay with ply first, then give it a coat of acrylic primer watere down to the correct ratio (normally around 3:1), not pva. Pva won't do anything on a wooden floor, you must use acrylic primer. Thats my advice, i'm sure someone will be able to give you more info on tiling directly to the chipboard :wink_smile: .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi Dan
Just priced job for three small bathrooms. Two of them have chip board floor so i guess i will need to pva them before tiling. never done this so could you give me a few pointers?

Cheers.

If it's the new green chipboard type flooring (which is water-resistant) you might not need to prime them. You certainly don't need to PVA them (don't use PVA when you need to prime something, use a primer that is from the same adhesive brand!).

J

Jamie.I

hi dan can you recomend a decent laser level up to 50 quid . And have u ever used nicobond adhesive if so what do u think ?

F

fireman paul

cheers fellas nice one. glad to see i not the only bhoy on forum.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

hi dan can you recomend a decent laser level up to 50 quid . And have u ever used nicobond adhesive if so what do u think ?

Laser levels are not my thing to be honest mate. If you do a search on the forums for 'laser level' you should find a couple of threads with a mention or two in.

T

tony TLC

cant help a lot with the level but nicobond is a good ahdhesive no probs the mate:coffee:

S

stevemilne750

Been asked to tile a painted wooden staircase do i just treat this the same as tiling on a plywood floor or is there anything to watch out for.Any help appreciated.

G

GazTech

Been asked to tile a painted wooden staircase do i just treat this the same as tiling on a plywood floor or is there anything to watch out for.Any help appreciated.
strip all the paint,prime with acrylic primer and tile using BAL mosaic fix,flexible grout is required
icon14.gif
recommendation for grout is BAL with GT1 additive,hope this helps regards Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazLC81

I'm pretty new to the trade and just wondered if anyone had any little tips that can help with getting quicker. Any little thing at all like tips on removing old tiles or tips on marking up etc?

I find that little tips from the vastly experienced guys help.

Just for example someone mentioned that a good way of getting wall adhesive off is to use a steamer.......

Cheers
Gaz

Reply to New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen