Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just a quick one. I am aware that if you as a newer tiler have any questions, it's not always easy to just explain them in a new post on here. And you can't always find somebody with the same problem with the solution already stated.

Now as we are the fastest growing tiling forums related forums, we want to stay the best in the game.

So if any of you have any problems, questions or just need guiding in the right direction, then tell me what your problems are in here and I'll do my very best to help you out.

Problems might be tiling skill related, product related, business related, maybe customer orientated? I don't know. But anything at all, ask in here and lets get this cleared up as soon as we can.

Thanks for your time so far registering and reading the forums. I hope this post helps many people out eventually!

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED FOR POSTING DUE TO ITS SIZE - PLEASE USE THE NEW THREAD FOUND HERE.

Last edited:
F

formula one

Re: Any new tilers stuck at all, with anything?

hi dan i got a big job on in teeside a club gents and females loos 2 sets up and down the thing is they is a lot of work here tiles to strip out and a new 5 foot high band of white tiles to go on all so the females loo is to be floor tiled only i got the price of my tiles grout ect but i think i will just put a price on the full job rip out and fit wot do you think i have put some potos up of the job as it is now , as i say its two gents and two females

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DevonR

Hi Dan, any tips on tiling 3 different coloured tiles into a kitchen splashback in a random pattern whilst trying to maintain a reasonably even spread accross the wall length?

Does this help at all?
[DLMURL="http://www.iansharpe.com/art_xltiling.php"]IanSharpe.com - Using Excel to produce random tiling patterns[/DLMURL]

View attachment 69699

T

tony TLC

Hi Dan, any tips on tiling 3 different coloured tiles into a kitchen splashback in a random pattern whilst trying to maintain a reasonably even spread accross the wall length?
good tip for you dont get to lost in it mix up 10 of each colour turn them upsidedown and dont look at the pattern just tile then repeate
:wub: :wink_smile:

V

Varley

Hi Dan
Just priced job for three small bathrooms. Two of them have chip board floor so i guess i will need to pva them before tiling. never done this so could you give me a few pointers?

Cheers.

I'm sure there are a few tilers on here will give you pointers on tiling directly onto chipboard, and i'm not saying in any way or fashion that it is wrong to do so, however i always overlay with ply first, then give it a coat of acrylic primer watere down to the correct ratio (normally around 3:1), not pva. Pva won't do anything on a wooden floor, you must use acrylic primer. Thats my advice, i'm sure someone will be able to give you more info on tiling directly to the chipboard :wink_smile: .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Hi Dan
Just priced job for three small bathrooms. Two of them have chip board floor so i guess i will need to pva them before tiling. never done this so could you give me a few pointers?

Cheers.

If it's the new green chipboard type flooring (which is water-resistant) you might not need to prime them. You certainly don't need to PVA them (don't use PVA when you need to prime something, use a primer that is from the same adhesive brand!).

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

hi dan can you recomend a decent laser level up to 50 quid . And have u ever used nicobond adhesive if so what do u think ?

Laser levels are not my thing to be honest mate. If you do a search on the forums for 'laser level' you should find a couple of threads with a mention or two in.

G

GazTech

Been asked to tile a painted wooden staircase do i just treat this the same as tiling on a plywood floor or is there anything to watch out for.Any help appreciated.
strip all the paint,prime with acrylic primer and tile using BAL mosaic fix,flexible grout is required
icon14.gif
recommendation for grout is BAL with GT1 additive,hope this helps regards Gaz

G

GazLC81

I'm pretty new to the trade and just wondered if anyone had any little tips that can help with getting quicker. Any little thing at all like tips on removing old tiles or tips on marking up etc?

I find that little tips from the vastly experienced guys help.

Just for example someone mentioned that a good way of getting wall adhesive off is to use a steamer.......

Cheers
Gaz

D

DHTiling

Hi Dan

Cheers.

hi paul. i used to use ply method on timber floors but for past year or so have been using ditra mat by schluter it is easy to lay and is excellent for bathrooms with there high humidity , and no problems with water ingression through grout joints causing any sub-floors to swell with moisture, give it a go you'll never use nowt else.GOOD LUCK MATE. p.s.
SCHLUTER have an installation manual you can down load

G

GazTech

Hi Dan

Doing my first porcelain floor next week (Black polished). About 45m, kitchen running thru to utility the loo. what size grout line should I go with? Can I lay them then seal them before grouting?

MFC, Wexford, Ireland
2mm grout line lovely,polished porcelain must be sealed,recommended product Fila polished porcelain impregnator available from guess who! damn I dont think topps are in ireland are they?

D

DHTiling

if it has rectified edges a 2mm joint will look fine as for sealing i would as this help fill any pores in the tile face thus helps with the cleaning of the floor

also try using lithofinFZ protective impregnator especially for porcelain tiles and offer customer lithofinFX conditioning cleaner for after care of tiles. hope this helps..

Reply to New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Article
This is the Morning Thread for Tilers Forums Discussion Thread We have a Morning Thread on each of our forums, and the Tilers Forums Morning Thread has been running the longest, we’ve actually...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can be found HERE but is quite long so not as easy to find specific posts. So tell us what you are up...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use for feedback. We have been established in Newport, South Wales (just across the bridge from Bristol)...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.