Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

brian c

Re: Any new tilers stuck at all, with anything?

you could always ply over the whole lot making sure you screw the plywood to the concrete floor securly,remembering to use 2mm expansion gaps where any 2 pieces of plywood meet and also at walls etc,prime ply with acrylic primer,use 12mm ply.:)

G

GazTech

Re: Movement Joints?

Hi, I plan to tile my kitchen/dining room floor but there is two different surfaces. Mostly floorboards, but also a small section of conrete about 2 square metre. The surface needs plywood and self leveling to make level. Is there any way that I can avoid using a movement joint?
I would board T & G boards with 6mm hardibacker boards,and screed the concrete up to its edge.Use a two part flexible adhesive onto boards and across where the joint is,then standard adhesive for the concrete.Your grout should then all be wide joint with BAL GT1 polymer added to give flexibility,no need then for an expansion joint at all using this method,hope this helps Customizer
icon14.gif

D

DHTiling

I would board T & G boards with 6mm hardibacker boards,and screed the concrete up to its edge.Use a two part flexible adhesive onto boards and across where the joint is,then standard adhesive for the concrete.Your grout should then all be wide joint with BAL GT1 polymer added to give flexibility,no need then for an expansion joint at all using this method,hope this helps Customizer
icon14.gif

doin it that way gaz isn't allowing for the fact the two subtrates expand at different rates putting stress on the surface were they meet, surely in time tiles will debond mate!!

p.s. dont want to undermine your comments just thought id mention this.

G

GazTech

doin it that way gaz isn't allowing for the fact the two subtrates expand at different rates putting stress on the surface were they meet, surely in time tiles will debond mate!!

p.s. dont want to undermine your comments just thought id mention this.
No worries D. I think that within a small area such as this one, using two part flex will be fine and be flexible enough to cope with the limited expansions and contractions of both substates.You do have a good point however, it would only be a concern if the areas were much greater.
icon14.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GazLC81

Just read your comments about the floor I ask about, the slanted one. I decided to hike the price a little as I wasn't sure it was going to be straight forward. I up'd it to £325 but I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure I want to do the job tbh, not sure the customer will pay. I may be wrong but I just get a feeling.

Gaz

G

GazTech

Just read your comments about the floor I ask about, the slanted one. I decided to hike the price a little as I wasn't sure it was going to be straight forward. I up'd it to £325 but I haven't heard back yet. I'm not sure I want to do the job tbh, not sure the customer will pay. I may be wrong but I just get a feeling.

Gaz
Any doubt,back out!............let someone else have sleepless nights, if you ever get that' not sure feeling' leave well alone even if you need work , trust me
icon14.gif

D

daveshack

Nico floor is okay, but the tub stuff is dire... If your on a day rate go for the nico, if meterage you'll be struggling...

M

MFC Tiling

Thanks to all with advice for porcelain. She cancelled the job, got her husband to do it! On to the next one!

MFC

D

DHTiling

cant win em all mfc, there loss. hope the hubby nacks it eh? lol lol lol

D

derekt

Hi Dan - I have recently become a self employed tiler. Just wondering if you had any tricks/tips on tiling a full bathroom. Have found it a bit difficult to keep my levels exact when tiling the fourth wall - when they meet with the tiles on fourth wall. What is the correct method. Have found botons a pain in the butt.
Also - any tips on tiling round a door which sits in the centre of a wall with quite a gap from top of door to the ceiling.

Regards
Derek

Reply to New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen