UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Moisture Meter - Test Floor Screed Moisture Before Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I think they are ok for walls if it's a cheaper one but for a 75mm+ screed then you will have to move up to a really pricey one.. could be 400 quid or so..

I did have a look on ebay earlier and the prices range from a few quid to a few hundred. Its not something I know a great deal about, but if a good one is that much I'll stick to a good old bit of polythene!

I

Ian

One I've had demonstrated ( and considering) is the Protimeter Surveymaster. As well as having the contact measurement and the probes you can measure the moisture up to 20mm below the surface without drilling. With this you make an instant assessment on the moisture within a slab the theory being if it's dry enough 20mm down all is well. It is pricey tho certainly over £300.

I think when I saw ones for a few quid it seemed like a good idea, now I've changed my mind! I wouldn't use it often enough to warrant having one.

N

newlineuk

Protometer Aquant
It is ideal for checking the relative moisture condition of building elements such as solid walls and floors prior to more rigorous and time-consuming investigatives.
The Protimeter Aquant is ideal for checking behind or below surface coverings that would normally prevent a direct reading being taken.
Leak paths in shower cubicles (behind ceramic tiles), in caravans/motor homes and mobile homes can be identified with the Protimeter Aquant before visible water damage occurs.
Also, this instrument may be used for surveying GRP boat hulls for the early detection of damp spots that could lead to blistering caused by osmosis.
The Protimeter Aquant has a digital display that is synchronized with a colour-coded LED scale. The display shows the relative moisture level of the material under investigation on a scale of 0-999 and the colour coded LED scale indicates the material’s moisture condition.

Surveymaster
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Building Surveying
ideal for assessing the moisture condition even under a sealed surface like vinyl / wood flooring and tiled walls. The readings are displayed digitally through the built-in LCD display and supported by a color-coded scale enables a simplified method to assess the moisture level at a glance - Dry, Borderline and Damp.
Measure Mode
Utilising the two-pins at the top of the instrument, a direct reading of the moisture level can be read. The numerical values displayed in the LCD display represent the actual percent moisture content of wood (% MC) and the wood moisture equivalent (WME) of concrete, dry wall and other materials.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Optional hammer electrode and deep wall probes can be used with the Mini to measure the moisture level at depths in walls and floors, regardless of the surface condition. These options are useful accessories when investigating the cause of moisture problems within buildings.
Search mode (non-invasive)
Measures moisture beneath the surface without drilling holes to a nominal depth of 0-20mm. Hold against the wall to allow a radio signal to penetrate the surface. This is the best method for assessing the moisture content beneath a tiled / covered surface.
[/FONT]

Hope this helps...

S

SandyFloor

A 20mm down reading isn't much cop on say a 75mm screed is it..:lol: the damp will be further down and will still rise when covered.... Sweat the bugger out i say..:)

Moisture travels upwards ( I think we all know that) and on the surface it evaporates so the highest moisture reading will be just below the surface assuming there isn't source moisture underneath.

D

DHTiling

Very true sandy but i saw a floor layer take a reading once and it was well within the standards and then he proceeded to lay the carpet.. 2 weeks later the carpet was damp... moisture deep down had not fully dried and the carpet made the floor sweat.. Hence the damp carpet..

This is my main reason for sweat testing.... but Damp meters of a good quality will do the job.. i have not disputed that.. just a lot of money for something a tiler would rarely use IMO..

T

tarkett85

the only way to test concrete subfloors is with a hygrometer like protimeter hygromaster, protimeter mms or tramex cmexpert either by drilling floor and putting in the plugs or with a hygro box. All other damp meters are for wood but caan be used on concrete to give you best places to test. Rh% is the measurement british standards dictate otherwise you're liable for a failed floor. This should be done for every job and takes minimum of 48 hours to test.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
the only way to test concrete subfloors is with a hygrometer like protimeter hygromaster, protimeter mms or tramex cmexpert either by drilling floor and putting in the plugs or with a hygro box. All other damp meters are for wood but caan be used on concrete to give you best places to test. Rh% is the measurement british standards dictate otherwise you're liable for a failed floor. This should be done for every job and takes minimum of 48 hours to test.

That's not right......not right at all.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
THe British standards recommend exclusively the hair hygrometer. This is covered in annex a of bs8204:1:2003 and is referenced in several other standards. When we talk about British standards though we are talking about a guide to best practice. British standards don't "back up" anything. In fact there are areas of the industry which do not have a British standard associated with them at all. People place far too much reliance on British Standards especially when you consider that there are several elements to a floor which are covered in differing standards each in conflict with the others. British standards have no legislative or contractual authority in themselves. If you don't follow them they can't take you o court an due you.

Just because a test is not covered by a British standard does not make it an invalid test. You can measure the moisture in a concrete slab in several ways including a carbide bomb, an oven dried sample, an electronic resistivitity meter, hygro hoods, and several others.

A method simply has to yield accurate and repeatable results in order to be useable. Some of these non British standard methods are covered in other standard documents eg bba certification, European standards, ASTM standards, CSM standards, technical guidance documents and manufacturers standard methods etc etc etc....

Reply to Moisture Meter - Test Floor Screed Moisture Before Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.