Discuss Moisture Meter - Test Floor Screed Moisture Before Tiling in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Ian

I'm thinking of investing in one for peace of mind on new slabs. Can anyone recommend a particular model or a link or two. Thanks Bri

I

Ian

On cement screeds Bri, i just do a sweat test.. easier IMO..

Thats my normal route, just wondered if there was a good one, thats accurate. Don't want to spend a fortune, but on the other hand don't want one to get one if its not really necessary.

D

DHTiling

I think they are ok for walls if it's a cheaper one but for a 75mm+ screed then you will have to move up to a really pricey one.. could be 400 quid or so..

Google is ya friend.:)

I

Ian

I think they are ok for walls if it's a cheaper one but for a 75mm+ screed then you will have to move up to a really pricey one.. could be 400 quid or so..

I did have a look on ebay earlier and the prices range from a few quid to a few hundred. Its not something I know a great deal about, but if a good one is that much I'll stick to a good old bit of polythene!

S

SandyFloor

One I've had demonstrated ( and considering) is the Protimeter Surveymaster. As well as having the contact measurement and the probes you can measure the moisture up to 20mm below the surface without drilling. With this you make an instant assessment on the moisture within a slab the theory being if it's dry enough 20mm down all is well. It is pricey tho certainly over £300.

I

Ian

One I've had demonstrated ( and considering) is the Protimeter Surveymaster. As well as having the contact measurement and the probes you can measure the moisture up to 20mm below the surface without drilling. With this you make an instant assessment on the moisture within a slab the theory being if it's dry enough 20mm down all is well. It is pricey tho certainly over £300.

I think when I saw ones for a few quid it seemed like a good idea, now I've changed my mind! I wouldn't use it often enough to warrant having one.

N

newlineuk

Protometer Aquant
It is ideal for checking the relative moisture condition of building elements such as solid walls and floors prior to more rigorous and time-consuming investigatives.
The Protimeter Aquant is ideal for checking behind or below surface coverings that would normally prevent a direct reading being taken.
Leak paths in shower cubicles (behind ceramic tiles), in caravans/motor homes and mobile homes can be identified with the Protimeter Aquant before visible water damage occurs.
Also, this instrument may be used for surveying GRP boat hulls for the early detection of damp spots that could lead to blistering caused by osmosis.
The Protimeter Aquant has a digital display that is synchronized with a colour-coded LED scale. The display shows the relative moisture level of the material under investigation on a scale of 0-999 and the colour coded LED scale indicates the material’s moisture condition.

Surveymaster
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Building Surveying
ideal for assessing the moisture condition even under a sealed surface like vinyl / wood flooring and tiled walls. The readings are displayed digitally through the built-in LCD display and supported by a color-coded scale enables a simplified method to assess the moisture level at a glance - Dry, Borderline and Damp.
Measure Mode
Utilising the two-pins at the top of the instrument, a direct reading of the moisture level can be read. The numerical values displayed in the LCD display represent the actual percent moisture content of wood (% MC) and the wood moisture equivalent (WME) of concrete, dry wall and other materials.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Optional hammer electrode and deep wall probes can be used with the Mini to measure the moisture level at depths in walls and floors, regardless of the surface condition. These options are useful accessories when investigating the cause of moisture problems within buildings.
Search mode (non-invasive)
Measures moisture beneath the surface without drilling holes to a nominal depth of 0-20mm. Hold against the wall to allow a radio signal to penetrate the surface. This is the best method for assessing the moisture content beneath a tiled / covered surface.
[/FONT]

Hope this helps...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Tramex do a good range. I use their moisture encounter meter myself. No idea how much it costs though.

D

DHTiling

A 20mm down reading isn't much cop on say a 75mm screed is it..:lol: the damp will be further down and will still rise when covered.... Sweat the bugger out i say..:)

S

SandyFloor

A 20mm down reading isn't much cop on say a 75mm screed is it..:lol: the damp will be further down and will still rise when covered.... Sweat the bugger out i say..:)

Moisture travels upwards ( I think we all know that) and on the surface it evaporates so the highest moisture reading will be just below the surface assuming there isn't source moisture underneath.

Reply to Moisture Meter - Test Floor Screed Moisture Before Tiling in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks