Discuss Limestone tile sealing in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
7B43BACF-D221-4F9E-B145-6942A32E5554.jpeg
Good morning all

Just to introduce myself, my name is Oli and I am in the process of finishing an extension at home.

Was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice on sealing limestone floor tiles. They are chalky white colour which we want to retain as best possible.

I have applied 3 coats of LTP Mattstone to a tile to test but it has darkened too much. This was done yesterday so I am wondering whether it will lighten over next day or so.
The first coat disappeared and did not alter appearance at all. After the second coat it was a little darker and slightly patchy so I applied a 3rd after a few hours. It is consistent now but too dark.
Can anyone offer any advice on an impregnator/ sealer that will enable us to retain the original colour.

Many thanks...

O

On one

I can't comment on LTP as I haven't used it before.
Lithofin Stainstop won't darken the stone (various version available,water based,solvent based ).

Q

Qwerty

Leave it another couple of days. Mattstone usually changes the appearance very little. I have found limestone is the one stone that is susceptible to colour change after sealing. Was the stone thoroughly washed and dried before sealing?

Any pics?

Reaction score
Leave it another couple of days. Mattstone usually changes the appearance very little. I have found limestone is the one stone that is susceptible to colour change after sealing. Was the stone thoroughly washed and dried before sealing?

Any pics?
Hi there

Thanks, yes I washed and rinsed them and dried inside for 24 hours and it looked as dry as before. I have attached pictures to the earlier message I posted can you see them?

Kind regards !

O

One Day

Can't comment on ltp other than the occasional times I've used them, I've never really liked them.
lithofin or universeal are my preferred brands and I've never seen darkening on limestone. Is the ltp oil/naptha based?

Reaction score
Can't comment on ltp other than the occasional times I've used them, I've never really liked them.
lithofin or universeal are my preferred brands and I've never seen darkening on limestone. Is the ltp oil/naptha based?
Thanks

It is naphtha based according to the data sheet

B

Bill

That limestone is very open and has been only lightly honed/filled, this will let more of the sealer into the slab but may discolour it.

Have you got a photo of any fixed but not sealed limestone?

Reaction score
CDC74A30-EF0B-4ED0-9674-7FA57AAC3462.jpeg
That limestone is very open and has been only lightly honed/filled, this will let more of the sealer into the slab but may discolour it.

Have you got a photo of any fixed but not sealed limestone?
Sure, I’ve only fixed a few last night these have no sealer on and are stuck down with BAL pourable one white

B

Bill

Last limestone job I did, two crates were poorly finished by the manufacturer and I sent them back as they were not refined like the rest of the stones. As you can see from my photo - there was a stark difference - both unsealed and dry.

Your stone looks a tad underdone too.

Frodsham Barn-10003-2.jpg

Reaction score
They seem pretty decent nice and consistent so we will persevere and find a suitable sealer eventually!

Out of interest where did you get those from?

Best, Oli

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Esteemed
Reaction score
If you wash limestone before sealing after 24hours it will still retain the water unless you put it in an oven !! :)

Reply to Limestone tile sealing in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks