Discuss Limestone hearth - when & how to seal in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Igloo

I'm hoping to have a log burner installed later this year and have bought some black-blue limestone tiles to use as a hearth. A friend of a friend is going to fit the stove and lay the hearth but I thought I'd do some groundwork myself, as he kept mentioning Indian sandstone as a hearth and we've chosen something different - I don't know if he has any experience with limestone!

Anyway, after a little research I've read some horror stories about limestone being stained by grout and am wondering if I should buy some sealant and seal the tiles before they're laid.

Is this recommended or would it adversly them when they are laid?

If it is recommended, what is the best sealant to get?

Do I seal the entire tile or just the top of it?

Also, should I buy some dark coloured grout in, in case this guy only has pale grout (if he normally uses pale coloured Indian sandstone)?

Many thanks for any helpful replies!

D

DHTiling

I would seal using LTP mattstone or similar.. leave to fully cure before grouting...

I

Igloo

Thanks for the reply. Is it best to do before or after the tiles have been laid?
I've had a quick look at their web site. The tiles are pretty messed up (just from being handled, and being in a store for ages, transportation etc. They look kind of dusty) - should I get some of their cleaners too?

Oh, and how much sealant would I need for just three tiles?

Many thanks.

B

Brinkley

wash the tiles first then leave to completely dry then seal , fix tiles seal again ,grout then give them a final seal ltp mattstone

I

Igloo

That's great, thank you. Can I just wash the tiles with water then? Or do I have to see how they come up, to see whether I need a special cleaner?

I

Igloo

Thank you! Hopefully that'll keep me busy, and even more hopefully, that'll be job done!

I

Igloo

Have given them a good cleam with warm water and they look much, much better. Still got a few blemishes on but I think those scratches are here to stay.

I've had a look at some other posts and have seen mention some sealant that also intensifies colour - would that be suitable for limestone? The blue-black is more faded dark grey at present. But would an intensifier make them too intense, and would it make them glossy - something not wanted?

Many thanks for reading.

D

DHTiling

LTP colour enhancer is doesn't leave a sheen.. but make sure you buff off excess as once dried it is very hard to remove..

As always test on a scrap piece to see if the colour suits taste.

I

Igloo

Thanks for the answer. May have trouble finding any scrap, as I want to seal before it's fitted, but will do my best to try it in a out-of-the-way place. Many thanks again.

I

Igloo

Ok, a few more questions - sorry!

- If I apply either sealer or colour enhancer, will that make the slight scratches and blemishes on the tiles any worse, or will it help cover them up a little?

- Which of these is the best for the job - to protect the tiles and make them look good:
- LTP Colour Intensifier and stainblock
- LTP Mattstone
- LTP Mattstone Impregnator (and is this the same as LTP Mattstone, above?)
- LTP Mattstone H20 (is a water based product more or less suitable?)
- Aqua Mix Enrich'N'Seal
- Fila Limestone protector
- Fila colour intensifier

And can I ask where the best place to get any of these is? (Sorry if that type of question isn't allowed.)

Also, where would I get grout that matches the tiles? I have an awful feeling that the guy who will, eventually, lay these tiles will only have a pale grout as he recommended Indian sandtone. I'm guessing I need a darker grout than that?

Sorry for all the questions! :oops: I really don't want to get this wrong and it seems far more complex than I thought!

D

DHTiling

Out of those sealers, if you want to darken .. then aqua mix enrich 'n' seal is spot on..

I

Igloo

Thanks for the reply. But will it be okay with the paler scratches on the tile? And just how dark does it go?!

T

Time's Ran Out

Before they are sealed would be the best time to lightly sand the surface scratches to avoid the sealer highlighting them.
With a darker grout you should check that the staining does not come through the side joint of the stone and be visible on the face. Although you could seal the sides, but it may cause a possible issue with the grout adhering to the joints.

Reply to Limestone hearth - when & how to seal in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi We have recently had some old fashioned concrete slabs laid for under a log burner at the...
Replies
Views
We're quoting to rip up and replace a tiled floor with Limestone tiles. I'm looking for advice...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay