Search the forum,

Discuss Limestone hearth - when & how to seal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Igloo

Thanks for the answer. May have trouble finding any scrap, as I want to seal before it's fitted, but will do my best to try it in a out-of-the-way place. Many thanks again.

I

Igloo

Ok, a few more questions - sorry!

- If I apply either sealer or colour enhancer, will that make the slight scratches and blemishes on the tiles any worse, or will it help cover them up a little?

- Which of these is the best for the job - to protect the tiles and make them look good:
- LTP Colour Intensifier and stainblock
- LTP Mattstone
- LTP Mattstone Impregnator (and is this the same as LTP Mattstone, above?)
- LTP Mattstone H20 (is a water based product more or less suitable?)
- Aqua Mix Enrich'N'Seal
- Fila Limestone protector
- Fila colour intensifier

And can I ask where the best place to get any of these is? (Sorry if that type of question isn't allowed.)

Also, where would I get grout that matches the tiles? I have an awful feeling that the guy who will, eventually, lay these tiles will only have a pale grout as he recommended Indian sandtone. I'm guessing I need a darker grout than that?

Sorry for all the questions! :oops: I really don't want to get this wrong and it seems far more complex than I thought!

D

DHTiling

Out of those sealers, if you want to darken .. then aqua mix enrich 'n' seal is spot on..

I

Igloo

Thanks for the reply. But will it be okay with the paler scratches on the tile? And just how dark does it go?!

T

Time's Ran Out

Before they are sealed would be the best time to lightly sand the surface scratches to avoid the sealer highlighting them.
With a darker grout you should check that the staining does not come through the side joint of the stone and be visible on the face. Although you could seal the sides, but it may cause a possible issue with the grout adhering to the joints.

I

Igloo

I hadn't thought of the sealant affecting grout - thanks for that. Not sure I have the courage to sand the surface. I fear it would just make the scratches worse. I think that might be something to do when you've got more experience in such matters! So guess I'll live with the scratches.
Many thanks for the reply :)

Reply to Limestone hearth - when & how to seal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen