Search the forum,

Discuss Limestone hearth - when & how to seal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Igloo

I'm hoping to have a log burner installed later this year and have bought some black-blue limestone tiles to use as a hearth. A friend of a friend is going to fit the stove and lay the hearth but I thought I'd do some groundwork myself, as he kept mentioning Indian sandstone as a hearth and we've chosen something different - I don't know if he has any experience with limestone!

Anyway, after a little research I've read some horror stories about limestone being stained by grout and am wondering if I should buy some sealant and seal the tiles before they're laid.

Is this recommended or would it adversly them when they are laid?

If it is recommended, what is the best sealant to get?

Do I seal the entire tile or just the top of it?

Also, should I buy some dark coloured grout in, in case this guy only has pale grout (if he normally uses pale coloured Indian sandstone)?

Many thanks for any helpful replies!

I

Igloo

Have given them a good cleam with warm water and they look much, much better. Still got a few blemishes on but I think those scratches are here to stay.

I've had a look at some other posts and have seen mention some sealant that also intensifies colour - would that be suitable for limestone? The blue-black is more faded dark grey at present. But would an intensifier make them too intense, and would it make them glossy - something not wanted?

Many thanks for reading.

Reply to Limestone hearth - when & how to seal in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.