Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How To Get Faster At Wall And Floor Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DemoXpert

'Tis said, a rookie will take 2 to 3 times longer to do the same job as that of an experienced tiler, so the question is: how long will it take for one to go from rookie to expert, providing he's working on a regular basis?! Any ideas?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a lot of conservatory floors and they were a God send. Those are quick for even a new tiler if it's prepared well and the cutting is quick.

But the fiddly bathrooms with dodgy walls can set a quick tiler miles in front of your average one let alone a rookie as you put it.

I couldn't tile bathrooms that quick. About average I'd guess. But I can cut quick. Did they for years and only that and grouting.

D

DemoXpert

Bathrooms is all I'm doing at the mo, so I'm guessing, once I master them, anything else will be a walk in the park... ;) At the moment it's taking me roughly 7/8 days to complete an average bathroom, at around 16 sq meter, way too long obviously as I've noticed ppl wrap them up in 2/3 days :mad::(

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that including preparation?

Prep can be 2 days in some bathrooms.

Tiling alone I can see 26 meters in ceramics being 2 or 3 days by an experienced expert but even he's rushing it if he's beating that. Surely?

Your large porcelains and whatnot could slow you down.

D

DemoXpert

Then again, I'm only on my 4th bathroom, so I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on myself :)

Nope, that's tiling and grouting alone, sure prepping would take longer and sure porcelains would do too, let alone large ones...

W

White Room

If you get the prep as good as you can that can give a bit more speed other than building tiles out with extra adhesive.

Reaction score
The tradition is that it takes about 10,000 hours to become a skilled worker. If you work a 40 hour week for 48 weeks a year, after 5 years you will have 9,600 hours experience.

Your speed will improve, but not noticeably after just 256 hours tiling (4 bathrooms taking 8 days).

I completed a short tiling course. I've done my 10,000 hours, and learnt from a lot of mistakes. My first few bathrooms took 7 or 8 days too. I can now tile 16m bathroom in about a day and a half (if no complications) but often spend as much as a day on prep, and a half day grouting and finishing. A big boost to my speed came from working with other experienced tilers. Some very simple tips can make a massive difference to your speed - but I will leave you to get that experience for yourself!

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Then again, I'm only on my 4th bathroom, so I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on myself :)

Nope, that's tiling and grouting alone, sure prepping would take longer and sure porcelains would do too, let alone large ones...
the more hours you put in the quicker you learn but learning on your own is a long hard road with great cost to you and your clients you need to take a step back .you can read the info a thousand times and still get it wrong .and watch it once and get it right .you need to be a labour to a tiler and work for at least a year on a pittance .it may seem like you are a slave but your eyes buy what you see .as a second note i have had tilers working for me that would tile a bathroom in a day and tilers that would take 3 days who left the best job they each did .its the finish job that matters not the time .when you get to work turn off the mobile .do you realy need to know that sharon just had her hair cut

Reply to How To Get Faster At Wall And Floor Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks