Search the forum,

Discuss How Much SLC do you think I need in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I have an outside area to level up and think I will be using Mapei P4, the area is 2.8 long x 1.3 wide and the lowest side is 18mm too low along the 2.8 length rising to a feather at the 1.3 wide mark. How many bags do you think I will need please.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I have just double checked with my local tilemaster supplier and ther is no problem with bringing back whole bags, so I think I will start with two

Q

Qwerty

I have just double checked with my local tilemaster supplier and ther is no problem with bringing back whole bags, so I think I will start with two

Can you please let me know who allows you to take back part used bags, I could make a fortune on my 1/4 bags I have on jobs :D

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok I am reporting back with my findings after doing the job.
3 bags were not enough and that stuff is a nightmare to get off your tools, even a trug bucket wont help because the SLC is flexible just spent about 2 hours cleaning the tools and guides. Next time if I nned to go so deep I will be going old school with a skim of cement and wait 1 mm per day which would be 1/6th of the cost in SLC.
So after all the prep work and expense I still need to bring the level up with thicker addy.
AND an end stop I made leaked and I have a lovely pool of SLC - self levelling itself all over my a joining slabs. Sand and cement don't do that !

P1000923.jpg P1000924.jpg P1000926.jpg

O

One Day

Sand and cement needs to be pretty thick or it has no strength.
That's why slc was invented!

Use PU foam in a can to make an easy, effective dam that you can cut away afterwards.

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Hmm maybe sand and cement for the thicker deeper bits and the SLC from then to the feather. I did notice when cleaning lots of cotton wool type filaments. I think you can get that for normal cement.
Because I messed around with it I had some areas that I needed to take down which are now a bit rough I am thinking of re priming - wouldn't hurt would it ?

Chris N

TF
Reaction score
Hmm maybe sand and cement for the thicker deeper bits and the SLC from then to the feather. I did notice when cleaning lots of cotton wool type filaments. I think you can get that for normal cement.
Because I messed around with it I had some areas that I needed to take down which are now a bit rough I am thinking of re priming - wouldn't hurt would it ?

Now you've got the trough filled, why don't you re-level the whole area with SLC and have a nice flat surface to start from?

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Now you've got the trough filled, why don't you re-level the whole area with SLC and have a nice flat surface to start from?
I still have another 10 mm -feather to go and I spat my dummy out over paying £60 for 3 bags and its still not level I am thinking of building that part up with extra addy today but that is £15 a bag so wont be saving much.
Can I add SLC to a floor with it already on and do I need to re prime.
I was told that the SLC is of for my outdoor use as it fits the requirements but to be honest it is nigling at the back of my mind that it is not a "full blown" exterior SLC but the Addy is.
Here is my post about that one

Reply to How Much SLC do you think I need in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen