Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grout Cracking despite rakeing it out and doing it again in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Weebisto

hi all, did a bathroom and a kitchen floor this week. Used standard set addy which gave me a bit more time to work. Left it for a good 24 hours before grouting Plywood subfloor installed by joiner and sealed with latex sealant by me before being left to dry and then tiled. Grout in bathroom fine but grout in kitchen showing lots of cracks. Went back in today and mixed grout a little thicker in case that was the issue, raked out affected areas, cleaned and re-grouted. Been back to check and although not fully dry it's not as bad but still cracking has appeared. Heating on full bung so wondered if it's dried too fast? Alternatively, could it be movement on the sub floor?
Any suggestions appreciated

R

Rookery

Almost certainly movement due to poor substrate prep. Or it could be wrong grout. Or it could be a few other things. We need the details of what tiles, how they were fixed, what with and what to.

W

Weebisto

Almost certainly movement due to poor substrate prep. Or it could be wrong grout. Or it could be a few other things. We need the details of what tiles, how they were fixed, what with and what to.
Ok so tiles were ceramic from b&q 60x30, plywood subfloor installed by joiner, I sealed it using mapei latex sealer, fixed using Larsen std set adhesive 100% coverage and left for 24 hrs then grouted using mapei grout from Tile Giant....twice

Reaction score
Evening,
Mapei ultra colour? If so, then that's a good grout.
I wonder how thick the ply was and how well it got screwed down.
Sometimes by treading/pushing u can see the movement close/open the cracks.

W

Weebisto

Evening,
Mapei ultra colour? If so, then that's a good grout.
I wonder how thick the ply was and how well it got screwed down.
Sometimes by treading/pushing u can see the movement close/open the cracks.
That's another valuable lesson: never assume that a joiner has done a sound job on the sub floor - test it first

W

Weebisto

Are the cracks near the joins in the plywood?
I would say there is a lot of movement in the ply
To be fair after the second grout it's concentrated in a four tile area which was the first to crack the first time around.... which is leading me to think that there's some bounce particularly under that bit

Reaction score
It's unlikely but, I see 'Tile giant' sell KERACOLOR FF.
This one only goes up to 6mm joints. If u used this and the joints bigger, it's just the grout type.

Reply to Grout Cracking despite rakeing it out and doing it again in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks