Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Grout cracking at tile edge in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Pierluc

Hey there, i just finished the tiles in my house and i am having this problem in a couple places. this is the section that my grout was a little too wet but i used it anyway could it be the problem ?

i used Chembond adhesive and mapei ultracolor plus grout, sub floor is 3/4 inch OSB 3/8 ply, screw at 3 inches square, 3/8 thick tiles, 3/16 spacing

there is no movement on the floor, im really wondering if too wet grout and not pushing it in enough is the problem. this is the only section where i failed the mix the other parts are fine

thx for the help

P

Pierluc

between tiles laid on the floor, it seems like the grout did not stick to the side of the tiles at some place, as if it would have shrink

D

doug boardley

with mapei ultracolour, you have to follow the instructions to the letter, it's a formidable grout when mixed properly. I think it probably is the reason, although your ply should also have been at least 1/2 inch.

P

Pierluc

3/8 ply is all we use in Quebec and i never had problem this way, but yes maybe i could have taken thicker one :smilewinkgrin: theres another 1/8 sheet between my 3/4 and the 3/8, the stuff they use to put linoleum on, should i have remove this piece ?

D

DHTiling

Have you done a deflecto test on the joists....

Your sub-base should be fine.... what Standard is the thinset..? is is modified in anyway.

P

Pierluc

High-Performance, Polymer-Modified Floor and Wall Tile Mortar
MagniFlex Ultimate 8830 is a high-performance, polymer-modified, single-component, thin-set mortar for setting ceramic tile and dimension stone

Deflecto :
For joists that are SYP or Douglas Fir, in good condition, 9.25 inches tall, 1.5 inches wide, 16 inches on center, and 14 feet long between supports, the deflection calculated is 0.442 inches.

This translates to a deflection of L / 380.

Since the maximum deflection for tile is L / 360, and for natural stone is L / 720, your floor is rated for Ceramic tile, Congratulations!

Seems like im just a hair good enough for ceramic tile, would adding more wood cross under the floor help ? or another hanging beam halfway to distribute the weight ?

but i dont thing structure is the problem, the half section i did with the grout mixed well did not crack at all .... or not yet

D

DHTiling

OK all is well...

I think you need to remove the bad area's of grout and re-do them..:thumbsup:

P

Pierluc

hard to see, had to wet the floor to see it, its just a couple weeks old i hope it doesnt get too bad. Any electric tool working well to remove grout ?

Reply to Grout cracking at tile edge in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks