Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Snowfrog

Hi Dave, he has only tiled over the parts of the wall that weren't replastered. As to who is footing the bill, well it will probably be me, as I can't see him stumping up for replacement tiles and maybe new UFH.

At least one thing has come out of all this, I'm getting a new kitchen and he was initially promised the job of tiling the floor (about 17 square metres of it), but needless to say, he won't be getting the job. I'll get someone from here now

S

Snowfrog

Just seen the photies, the job looks unbalanced too. I don't think insurance (public liability anyway) pay out for substandard work, only pay if persons or property gets damaged.:oops:

It does look unbalanced, when you stand in the doorway, the floor looks like it is swirling away from you. I don't think he has insurance anyway so it looks like I'm going to be out of pocket.

D

DHTiling

It does look unbalanced, when you stand in the doorway, the floor looks like it is swirling away from you. I don't think he has insurance anyway so it looks like I'm going to be out of pocket.

You will use a propper tiler though..?

I can source one for you if you want...we have some really really good ones as members...

if this is the route you want to go then pm me..

B

Bolter

Chin up mate, at least you got the balls to talk to him and you never know, he may be able to compensate you.

Send him a bill, and mark it as a copy will been sent to Trading Standards and BBCs Rogue Traders if he doesnt come to an amicable agreement. You may well be out of pocket over this though, thats almost guaranteed.

Good thing is, if Dave sends someone round, you will get an AWESOME job. Thats also guaranteed :)

S

Snowfrog

Dave, pm sent.

Bolter, how I wish I could turn back the clock. When he said he'd never fitted travertine tiles before that should have been a warning to me.

R

Richardk

Where are you from? Im sure someone from this forum would be willing to pop over and check it all out, on the quiet of course.

If you are near me, I would be happy to.

This seems like a good idea. With each post, the job seems worse and worse and there may be other issues you're not aware of yet. An assessment from a tiler would be a good start.

S

Snowfrog

Richard, I'm in Liverpool. If he doesn't start sorting out things tomorrow, I'll hopefully get someone from here to fix it for me.

F

faithhealer

Snowfrog , we really feel for you, hope you get it sorted. Has he been paid for those 12 days? hope not.

S

Snowfrog

Snowfrog , we really feel for you, hope you get it sorted. Has he been paid for those 12 days? hope not.

Jeez, has it taken him that long??:yikes::yikes::yikes:

He started two weeks ago tomorrow, so has worked 9 days on the job as he hasn't worked weekends, but the total job wasn't just for tiling. He removed t and g ceilings in the loo and bathroom, replastered both ceilings, the loo walls and half of the bathroom walls and been tiling for a total of 4 days and so far has been paid £720.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Snowfrog

Well guys I've got an update for you. I spoke to the tiler the next morning and told him that I wasn't happy with his work and that I wanted it up and re layed properly. He managed to get up the tiles without damaging the underfloor heating, so far so good. Then all work had to come to a stop as I needed some extra tiles and couldn't find any that matched.

Eventually last Wednesday I found some 60 x 40 tiles which were a good match and hit on the idea of just cutting them down to 40 x 40. I told the tiler that I could only get 60 x 40 and he said he a friend who had a laser cutter specifically for cutting and finishing marble, which he could use, so I'd get a smoother finish. I agreed to pay him £15 as I thought it wasn't a bad price and would save the tiler's cutting time, anyway. So he came on Friday and layed the floor, 16 tiles in total, but still never got round to finishing the tiling around the bath. For that I paid him £120, plus the other guy's £15. It was only after he went that I actually worked it out that his work rate is working out at £50 a metre. Just for laying the tiles as I sealed them and they still need to be grouted. I moaned about it to my boyfriend and he said he'd have a word with the guy as he seems to be taking advantage of me. So far, up to the end of last Friday, he had part plastered the bathroom, plastered the loo and layed a total of 8 metres of tiles and been paid £1000 and cost me an extra £125 for more tiles and adhesive. Far from being a cheap job, he is working out far more expensive than any other quote I had and it's still not finished, but worse than that, I think the quality of his work is really poor. I've got more pictures to show you, if somone could kindly put them up for me.

I'm having the pipes boxed in and tiled over and the rest of the room is having a tiled skirting board. Well I noticed another problem with one of the floor tiles he re-layed, by the radiator. It was too short from the wall so when I rested a tile on it, you could see the gap. I pointed it out to the tiler and he just poo poo'd it as being a problem and said when the skirting board had the adhesive behind it, you wouldn't see it. Guess what he's done, he's shoved nearly a centimetre of adhesive behind the tiles, so you don't see the gap, but it looks awful, I think. Also because he's come out so far, he's now tiled over the feet of the radiator.

I despair.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

ohhhhh nooooooo, I want to cry for you Snowfrog:mad2: You sound like my other half... just too nice sometimes and you get taken advantage of (although £15 to cut the tiles down seems like a good price

Reply to Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks