Search the forum,

Discuss Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Snowfrog

Snowfrog , we really feel for you, hope you get it sorted. Has he been paid for those 12 days? hope not.

Jeez, has it taken him that long??:yikes::yikes::yikes:

He started two weeks ago tomorrow, so has worked 9 days on the job as he hasn't worked weekends, but the total job wasn't just for tiling. He removed t and g ceilings in the loo and bathroom, replastered both ceilings, the loo walls and half of the bathroom walls and been tiling for a total of 4 days and so far has been paid £720.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Snowfrog

Well guys I've got an update for you. I spoke to the tiler the next morning and told him that I wasn't happy with his work and that I wanted it up and re layed properly. He managed to get up the tiles without damaging the underfloor heating, so far so good. Then all work had to come to a stop as I needed some extra tiles and couldn't find any that matched.

Eventually last Wednesday I found some 60 x 40 tiles which were a good match and hit on the idea of just cutting them down to 40 x 40. I told the tiler that I could only get 60 x 40 and he said he a friend who had a laser cutter specifically for cutting and finishing marble, which he could use, so I'd get a smoother finish. I agreed to pay him £15 as I thought it wasn't a bad price and would save the tiler's cutting time, anyway. So he came on Friday and layed the floor, 16 tiles in total, but still never got round to finishing the tiling around the bath. For that I paid him £120, plus the other guy's £15. It was only after he went that I actually worked it out that his work rate is working out at £50 a metre. Just for laying the tiles as I sealed them and they still need to be grouted. I moaned about it to my boyfriend and he said he'd have a word with the guy as he seems to be taking advantage of me. So far, up to the end of last Friday, he had part plastered the bathroom, plastered the loo and layed a total of 8 metres of tiles and been paid £1000 and cost me an extra £125 for more tiles and adhesive. Far from being a cheap job, he is working out far more expensive than any other quote I had and it's still not finished, but worse than that, I think the quality of his work is really poor. I've got more pictures to show you, if somone could kindly put them up for me.

I'm having the pipes boxed in and tiled over and the rest of the room is having a tiled skirting board. Well I noticed another problem with one of the floor tiles he re-layed, by the radiator. It was too short from the wall so when I rested a tile on it, you could see the gap. I pointed it out to the tiler and he just poo poo'd it as being a problem and said when the skirting board had the adhesive behind it, you wouldn't see it. Guess what he's done, he's shoved nearly a centimetre of adhesive behind the tiles, so you don't see the gap, but it looks awful, I think. Also because he's come out so far, he's now tiled over the feet of the radiator.

I despair.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

ohhhhh nooooooo, I want to cry for you Snowfrog:mad2: You sound like my other half... just too nice sometimes and you get taken advantage of (although £15 to cut the tiles down seems like a good price

S

Snowfrog

CR, thanks for the sympathy, I feel like crying for me too. :)

Stan I don't think the Office of Fair trading will be able to help me. The guy was recommended by an electrician friend, I didn't get him through the yellow pages or the like. He was a good plasterer, but IMO, he's no tiler. I've paid him cash in hand, and I really can't see how I can get recourse. I know the guys name, well first nam, but not where he lives, nor anything else. The way things are looking, I'll just have to get everything sorted by the new tiler when I eventually do my kitchen.

Here are the photos, I hope.

Pictures by DaisysJ91 - Photobucket

C

Colour Republic

I'm really sorry Snowfrog but the plastering is anything but good let alone his tiling, in the few pictures I can see his plastering it looks awful, I'm sorry to be add insult to injury but once the plaster is painted you will see how rough it is. So sorry:thumbsdown:

S

Snowfrog

I want to go to bed, pull the covers over my head and stay there. I'm so fed up. Matters aren't made any easier by the constant battles with my boyfriend. He really does think I am being too fussy now. I think he's just fed up hearing me moan about it, but I can't pretend I'm happy with it, when I'm far from that.

C

Colour Republic

I don't often advocate suing a 'trademen' as there is normally two sides to a story but this is really quite bad, enough to have caused damage to the value of your home and I really don't say that lightly. you have spent good money after bad. I want to say something that will cheer you up and tell you it will all be OK but sadly I can't

So sorry to be so blunt and harsh:thumbsdown:

Reply to Can you grout with tile adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen